ground clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayne

Reaction score
Just got a new 2012 LR4 and have yet to try any serious off road adventures. This is actually my wifes new car (I have a 1999 P38 Range Rover). It looks to me like the independent rear suspension and spare tire location has rather seriously compromised the ground clearance compared to the earlier Disco's and my RR. Does anyone have real world experience on this? I drive primarily off road in Death Valley that is a mix of pretty serious rock crawling and deep sand (the latter should not be a problem).

Thanks

Wayne

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Wayne,

Congratulations on the new LR4 - your wife made a good choice. ;-) I think a lot of us would agree that the spare tire (especially a full size) and low back bumper definitely compromises ground clearance. I do a bit of off roading and this is my biggest complaint - you have to be careful. Those guy who do more serious off roading usually opt for putting the spare tire on the roof rack or get the spare tire carrier for the back.

-David

wayne

Reaction score
David:

It looks to me that the control arms needed for the independent suspension are the biggest problem (the lowest points). The spare sits on top of those, and even with the spare out the clearance is not improved much. The car is out just now so I cant go take a careful loo, but what do you think?

Wayne

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wayne,

Don't sweat the rear clearance. That's the least of your worries. I've wheeled pretty hard over the years and can't recall ever being hung up by the control arms or the spare. The real worry is damaging the air tank or compressor. Get sliders if DV is one of your typical trails.
The only place that you will notice damage is the exhaust routing under the rear diff. Speaking of control arms - get a spare set of bolts and keep them in the rig. If you shear one off, you're dead in the water. I've found the OEM bolts have very little loctite applied. Don't step up to grade 8 or higher bolts. Use the OEM grade 5's. You'll want the more "pliable" properties of the 5's.

Dave

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wayne,

Don't sweat the rear clearance. That's the least of your worries. I've wheeled pretty hard over the years and can't recall ever being hung up by the control arms or the spare. The real worry is damaging the air tank or compressor. Get sliders if DV is one of your typical trails.
The only place that you will notice damage is the exhaust routing under the rear diff. Speaking of control arms - get a spare set of bolts and keep them in the rig. If you shear one off, you're dead in the water. I've found the OEM bolts have very little loctite applied. Don't step up to grade 8 or higher bolts. Use the OEM grade 5's. You'll want the more "pliable" properties of the 5's.

Dave
Howdy Dave!

VERY helpful!!!! I was just going to reply that likely the biggest worry is the compressor, as it's in a location can get easily smashed. Last time I went to Hollister with Nick and a few people I thought I crushed mine - false alarm!

I'll shoot you a private message to say hi...

-David

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just finished offroading around Joshua Trees and although there were some pretty rocky conditions, unless you are specifically tackling rock/bolder climbing trails, the Off Road height pretty much clears anything you'll find in the dessert. I am still contemplating whether I should get skidpads...I like the level of assurance but not happy about adding even more weight to the truck.

wayne

Reaction score
This is really helpful information guys. Dave, my usual trails are routes like Mengel Pass, Lippincott road, goler wash, etc in Death Valley. I also spend a bit of time in Joshua tree. Good to learn that with care the LR4 will be OK.
My P38 Range Rover has no problems on these roads, but the LR4 drive train appears superior.

As I mentioned, this is in principle my wifes car. She really wanted a mercedes ML, but I convinced her to drive the LR. She commented that it was not as bad as she expected, but still wanted the ML. I agreed, but insisted upon 4x4 and low range transfer case if at all possible. Well, she looked for two days in LA and could not find one in a suitable color and 4x4 and none at all with low range T case. So I got a call to come down to the LR dealer; she spotted a gorgeous Firenza red and bought it. Now I (I mean she) has a new LR4. There will be great reluctance to me making any mods (winch, roof rack, rock sliders, etc) but that will probably change in the future.

Wayne

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah. . .Please get a GoPro and video the discussion of you wanting to putting armor and winches on that thing. If she says yes, you have wife of the year Oscar.

wayne

Reaction score
Yeah, it will be interesting; I plan to proceed cautiously and slowly. Start with removable roof rack; can take it off anytime, right? Then proceed to the idea of better tires, for safety of course, not necessarily for off road, although that could benefit as well. What could it possible hurt to have some sylish lights on that rack, and maybe an access ladder? And so forth....
I will let you know how it goes; may take a year though.

Wayne

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted. . .Might be the best tutorial on here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV