ground clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is really helpful information guys. Dave, my usual trails are routes like Mengel Pass, Lippincott road, goler wash, etc in Death Valley. I also spend a bit of time in Joshua tree. Good to learn that with care the LR4 will be OK.
My P38 Range Rover has no problems on these roads, but the LR4 drive train appears superior.

As I mentioned, this is in principle my wifes car. She really wanted a mercedes ML, but I convinced her to drive the LR. She commented that it was not as bad as she expected, but still wanted the ML. I agreed, but insisted upon 4x4 and low range transfer case if at all possible. Well, she looked for two days in LA and could not find one in a suitable color and 4x4 and none at all with low range T case. So I got a call to come down to the LR dealer; she spotted a gorgeous Firenza red and bought it. Now I (I mean she) has a new LR4. There will be great reluctance to me making any mods (winch, roof rack, rock sliders, etc) but that will probably change in the future.

Wayne
You should post photos, I have only seen one red one in person - very cool color. I traded in my 2009 ML for the LR4 and NEVER looking back. I had a 2002 Disco II and it was the biggest piece of CRAP ever that I swore off Land Rovers for a while. Now I am back in love! :) The LR4 is far superior to the ML - only thing to touch it is the G.

Hopefully she will let you add some modifications and have fun off roading. I should have my wife give her tips on how to be an obedient wife and let you make the decisions. Hahahahaha! :)

-David

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever used the trailer hitch receiver to mount a winch on the rear? I'm thinking of it for smaller load things, not necessarily to pull the LR3 out of a ditch.
I know that the receiver is rated less than the winch. I have a Ramsey 8000 winch I was thinking of making portable as I wouldn't need it all the time.

wayne

Reaction score
It really is a gorgeous red; I will post some pics soon; by the way, how do you post pics on this site?

Regarding the winch question, I have a jeep cherokee with a rear receiver that is used to mount my Ramsey, which is mounted on a removable plate so it can be switched from the front to the rear. I also have a rear battery mounted in the jeep with winch connections nearby; the rear battery is fed by the front alternator. I have pulled the jeep out of deep sand with this arrangement. On my LR4 the max towing capacity is 7700lbs, but that may be limited by other things than the capacity of the receiver itself (not sure).

Wayne

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, the receiver and vehicle can tow 7700 #'s. I towed a Jag with it. So, sounds like an option to have additional capability with but obviously not what you intend to pull the vehicle out of mud or rocks or at an acute angle with. I've been reading up that one is advised to have a dual batter set-up if doing any winching in order to not drain off the battery while winching. But, if the vehicle is running while winching is there still the same battery drain issue? Wouldn't it be running off of the vehicle power (juice) at that point?
Recommendations on removable plates that can attach to the rear of the LR3?
Thanks.

wayne

Reaction score
Under load my Ramsey draws more than 200A, and the alternator produces only about 120 in that vehicle. I dont know how big the alternator is in the LR4, but I imagine it is enormous to deal with all the electrical load (heated everything). Check the output, it may just manage the winch.

Wayne

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is the bottomline that to consider ever using a portable winch in the rear in a real emergency, one is well advised to install a 2nd battery in the trunk and do some mods to the rear bumper because the removable hitch won’t suffer the forces involved when pulling 3 tonnes of metal out of deep mud or sand?

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it will be interesting; I plan to proceed cautiously and slowly. Start with removable roof rack; can take it off anytime, right? Then proceed to the idea of better tires, for safety of course, not necessarily for off road, although that could benefit as well. What could it possible hurt to have some sylish lights on that rack, and maybe an access ladder? And so forth....
I will let you know how it goes; may take a year though.

Wayne

Honestly I think tires should be the #1 modification. The LR4 is a heavy truck. Stock tires are meant for urban travel. The new tires should be load range E minimum.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty old thread. I'd be interested in hearing from the original posters about what the typical trail damage is on LR4 and what the top recommended spare parts are to carry.

@Finlayforprez and others have a lot of experience. My experiences are limited to mostly muddy fields and woods, so other than watching out for tree debris and stumps (punctures tires easily) I don't know as much about rock and what really gets beat up.

(Having said that, i am in the process of putting an excessive amount of armor on my rig. I worry about the weight, but I don't want to worry about busting things when im on a longer trip.)

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A perspective from a long time 4WD owner/camper/etc. I don't have armor and never have. From Jeep pickups to Scouts to D1's to D4's. From gulches to 12/13K foot altitude passes. Slow down and learn to "pick the line". Get out of the truck and walk the trail if you can't find that line or the challenge is higher than your skill. Stack rocks if you have to. Spot your friends for incremental trail directions. Roll the window down! LOL.

That said, tires are very important off road no matter what vehicle you are running. Your typical city tire / OEM equipment is not up the the task and will likely result in hill climb fails or un-repairable flats (sidewall damage).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although my LR4 is still largely stock (with the sole exception being an Asfir sump guard), I can say that sliders are important on an LR4 and are probably the second most important thing you can do after tires.

This was me at my dealership's off-road event a few weeks ago. I had to drive as far as possible to my left on this ledge so that I didn't land ******* my rocker panels.

We had just driven up this slope a few moments before. Picking lines was important. As good as the LR4 is off-road, the rockers are a bit lower than most comparable vehicles, even with the suspension raised. The LR4 that came down this ledge before me did not go as far to his left and landed on his passenger-side rocker. He had the stock 2014+ steps on his, which actually protected his body (and the steps themselves) from damage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72