Has anyone reflashed their 3.0SC V6 aka Tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
Going from the 5.0L to the 3.0SC the power difference is quite noticable when merging onto the freeway. I've seen some Land Rover tunes from companies I've never heard of but they all say for Range Rover & RRS from 2013-present. I'm very familiar with tuning in the BMW and VW world, but not so much in these vehicles. I'd probably be happy if I could just flash the 380hp stock file they offer on the other JLR models.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody posted about doing a tune (a Jag tuner) and liking the results, but don't recall what forum it was on.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An ecu tune and new supercharger pulley is something I'll definitely be interested in doing when warranty is up. Hoping by then there's a local shop in philly that can do a dyno tune.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
Somebody posted about doing a tune (a Jag tuner) and liking the results, but don't recall what forum it was on.
I wish some of the VW and BMW-world tuners would launch JLR products. While I'm not expecting the huge gains seen in those turbocharged products with just an ECU tune, we know this engine is more capable than the middling 340hp it was released with. In my VWs, we could get an extra 100hp+ (50%) gains with software alone. My GTI w/Performance Package was a monster, but I had to get rid of it as I never drove it anymore due to changing careers and depending on the LR for daily job site duties.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An ecu tune and new supercharger pulley is something I'll definitely be interested in doing when warranty is up. Hoping by then there's a local shop in philly that can do a dyno tune.

I was curious about this about a year ago (http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/scv6-340hp-380hp.28859/) but lost interest. However I did get the oppurtunity to briefly talk to the head tech at my LR dealership this past summer.

The tech only seen a couple come in with the upgrade and they were all throwing a code that triggered the engine lamp. From what he said, it appears that it can be flashed to the 380hp without a new pulley but because of an un translated Jag-LR code (not sure how this works) it triggers a warning, at least from what he's seen. But no actual issue with the vehicle. He also said that if I were to do it that I should make sure that I have some sort of ID tool that can replace it with the original info or remove the error codes when taking it to the dealership as it is easily detectable and can void the warranty. Kind of complicated for me at this time...didn't really dive into what program to get, how they could tell or how it can be circumvented but I also never really researched it any further as I do not need the extra power and I don't want to chance voiding my warranty. But I'm interested in seeing the results...

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may sound like a broken record...but I don't see a big enough difference between the 40hp loss from the V8 to the SCV6 to justify fiddling with anything that could potentially void my warranty. Then again, I don't stomp on it and never really needed the extra HP when going off road. That is why I've gone with the SCV6 on both the Lr4's i've purchased, even after trying to convince myself that the V8 was better I still opted for a newer one. The way people on this forum talk about the V8 is as if it was the best thing ever but I just couldn't justify buying an older/higher mileage model. Personally, I would like to see the SCV8 from the SVR go into the LR4...that would be epic. But that's just me and to each their own.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
I may sound like a broken record...but I don't see a big enough difference between the 40hp loss from the V8 to the SCV6 to justify fiddling with anything that could potentially void my warranty. Then again, I don't stomp on it and never really needed the extra HP when going off road. That is why I've gone with the SCV6 on both the Lr4's i've purchased, even after trying to convince myself that the V8 was better I still opted for a newer one. The way people on this forum talk about the V8 is as if it was the best thing ever but I just couldn't justify buying an older/higher mileage model. Personally, I would like to see the SCV8 from the SVR go into the LR4...that would be epic. But that's just me and to each their own.
Coming from other high performance vehicles, the V8 was just about enough to propel the LR4 with enough gusto to make it enjoyable to stomp on it every once and a while and it also made merging on the interstate or towing easy. The V6 just feels flat in comparison, even with the two extra gears and higher overall gear ratio (which surprised me considering it has 8-speeds and you'd think for fuel economy 8th gear would be extremely low, but it's not). The car also just sounds so boring. I wish they'd given it at least the exhaust note from the F-Pace V6 which sounds decent in comparison. I think I'm going to go with VelocityAP for my tune. I emailed with Stuart from VAP over the weekend and he said the difference in the 340 and 380hp engines is the software and that's it. They pretty much use the 380HP file and modify it slightly for torque and what not. Everyone on the Jag side has been raving about the tune and its reliability. Being acclimated with a 330HP/380lb-ft VW GTI that weighs half as much as an LR4, I just need some extra oomph.

One thing I hope the tune offers is a higher idle speed. When my LR4 idles at stoplights it shakes the vehicle occasionally enough to make things rattle. The V8 was extremely smooth and never shook. If the RPM were set 25rpms higher on the V6 it would also idle rather smoothly, but the 600rpm mine idles at is too low. Anyone else notice this rough idle?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my LR4 idles at stoplights it shakes the vehicle occasionally enough to make things rattle.
Funny you say that, I noticed this and it bothered the heck out of me. I removed both air boxes and cleaned them thoroughly. I also took out the both mass air flow sensors and cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner. It no longer idles rough.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please keep us updated once you get the flash. Very interested in the results.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree on all points. Would like to see the idle RPM raised to avoid the vibration and I'd be okay with another ~40HP.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA