HDC, ABS, TC lights on at random....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

capthook

Thanks for all of the info Joey, I took the front / rear wheels off & checked pads etc.. but everything looked good. Put it all back together and the lights naturally came back. Noticed that upon quick accel. from a dead stop set it off this time -- could this be my cheap-ass brake pads? The problem with this one is that it's very hard to diagnose without a proper ABS reading OBD II system, so I guess I'm kinda stuck going to LR with this one (again). I hope it isn't my hubs, I've heard of that job & the cost :( bummer!! - She's been running gr8 lately too, just wish the lights would stop bugging us. Oh, and I did look at the brake fluid & looks a bit dirty... this can cause this random fault like this Joey? ...interesting. Maybe I should start there.
brakefluid.JPG

Brake Fluid, looking kinda k'ed i guess

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Brake fluid would also be cheaper than a visit to the dealer.

The fluid when dirty, will acually look like used motor oil when drained/flushed. and since the ABS has sensors in the brake system it can very well cause some issues. Remember any good service tech will recommend flushing the brake fluid at least once a year.

C

capthook

Will do; also seemed to go off (more times than usual) today after taking (front) tires off and putting those metal 'shim' things behind the pads. The other day I did the rears, to no change still went off after a long trip. However today it seemed to go off after a short trip, which is kinda interesting, I'm wondering if this means I've touched on whats wrong today. All fails i'll take her to LR after christmas but aint lookin' forward to that trip.

C

capthook

Took it out again tonight, and yep - this has to be related to the front wheels / brakes....since I did just screw with them today - lights are comming on now after about 15 mins, & when I come to a quick stop, so it's alot more frequent since putting the 'shims' in behind the pads on the front wheels.... whole problem (i think) is related to the fronts, and I made it worse today somehow :p I think maybe I'll invest in some new pads tomorrow even though my cheap ones look okay, they ARE squeaking even after only 1 month (damn cheap pads, don't go there) so ***... Any suggestions as to what I should look at, when I have the wheel off? Also what could be related to me doing the brakes that is causing this failure... I keep thinking about it, perhaps I pulled a harness or something? or maybe it could just be my cheapie pads?? Ideas? Suggestions?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it is the pads, but could be a dirty sensor take it to your local pressure washer and clean the brakes (all around the front assy). Hope this helps.

C

capthook

Okay, I'll try that first :) Thanks Joey. Just seems wierd how frequent it's become since I put my hands on her front wheels. How hard is it to get @ the sensors to clean them? I'll try power washing the wheels today; hopefully that will do it but if not I'm thinking of taking them out to clean them. Also, anyone know what size socket will I need to remove the rotor if I decide to go there... or should I?

discobrakes.jpg

There's a really good chance of mud being on the sensor, Northern California = Mud, gravel / dirt Trails, More Mud.

muddy1.jpg

...think my playing in the mud could 'a done it? heheh

Capt

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The sensor is inside the hub behind the rotor, and mud could have caused the issue, I am not saying that this is the problem, or every DII that goes off road would have it, but it is possible.

As far as the hub size, I can't remember I but the socket from DAP if I recall correctly.

C

capthook

Awesome Joey, thanks. Put some brake lube behind the pads and that stopped the squeekage... hasn't come on since my powerwashing (crossing my fingers) thanks again for your help.

C

capthook

Well, I tried the powerwashing (twice) and it didn't seem to fix anything. The lights still come on @ random, then go off when I turn the truck off. I'm going to bite the bullet and take her into LR when I get back from going down south for Christmas.

C

capthook

I noticed today that when I was at the stop light and reached in the back seat (applying more pressure to the brake pedal as I did so) boom, lights came on at a total dead stop. Interesting, again - fluid; brakes? I'm really close here, this problem seems to happen every time I get a brake job too. Could this be from the brake shop not pressing in the caliper pistons all the way , then braking to seat new pads? I mean I also did not put the pistons in all of the way when I poped my front shims in

-Capt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV