HDC, ABS, TC lights on at random....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would still recommend a good brake fluid flush.

C

capthook

Tried the brake fluid flush (took it in today, and had them bleed the system) the light went out for a while, but after about 20 mins came back when I hit the brakes lightly... I already have an appointment with the local independent LR shop on weds, hopefully it's something simple. I'm tired of looking at orange lights. This common LR DII problem is a real drag, I wish there was a simple fix but it appears that I have to have a $10,000 T4 obdii reader to read the LR's ABS codes and even diagnose the problem. Lovely! LoL

Last edited by a moderator:
C

capthook

hmmmmmmmmm...... $1500 eh? If it were around $100, that'd be more like it - but hey maybe if they take over $2k in repair costs from me next year I'll start thinkin' about it. I'm past that mark this yr

' The initial hardware components, which are needed for every system, are the Vehicle Server, which costs £279 and the Vehicle Communications Interface which costs £99. After that, depending on the vehicle model, age and which vehicle systems you wish to access you will need one or more of a small number of vehicle diagnostic socket connection leads which vary in price from £3 to £35. Then you will need to buy the software module licences for the vehicle systems that you wish to access, these range in price from £36 to £825 with the average being around £100. '

So, for every system I want to access, I have to pay more for 'software module licences'? That's kind of a bummer too

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason they do this is if I own a D1, I only need D1 stuff, you have a D2, so you only need D2 stuff, not the $10k package for all D1,D2,RR etc...

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem may be the master cylinder (MC). Looking at the brake fluid in the picture it looks like very small rubber particles in it which would indicate that the MC seals have failed. You would still have braking power but would lose the sudden emergency braking/panic stop. I had a similar problem with my 1986 Porsche 944T (lost part of the braking power) and it did have tint rubber particles in the fluid; looks dirty. This is a common issue with many vehicles.

From the symptons you have posted it seems the lights come on when the brakes are depressed or have been used a bit. At a safe location try driving it and then slamming the brakes on. If it feels that you have lost a bit of braking power .... all signs point to the MC. This may be a cheaper fix then the hubs. Just my personnel experiance .... and a wake up slap when the MC decides to "fail" while on the racetrack comming up to a 90 degree turn at 125 KM/h.

C

capthook

I took it into the LR place today, called me back to report that it had a 'shuttle valve elect. failure', and that they were following LR's technical info on it in the morning. My question is, since the last time the HDC, TC, and ABS lights all came on and they told me about this 'shuttle valve' problem then, but they fixed a wheel speed sensor and it never caused my lights to come on that I am aware of as I had gone 4 months without having the lights come on, got a brake job - then they came back. Could this still be related? A 'hard code' was in the ABS ECU, but my lights are going on at random or sometimes hard braking and reseting again after the truck has been off for a while, so I hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree and wasting money.

Thanks in advance, this problem is such a headache - I wish we could live without the ABS but that just isn't an option.

C

capthook

Just replaced the ABS Modulator today, @ $500 - http://www.britishrecycling.com/ with a 2004 unit. Hopefully this will solve my friggin' ABS nightmares. The shop told me I had the 'shuttle valve circuit failure' but I followed the directions in the LR Tech paper on checking (everything BUT the modulator; connections etc..) see that here: http://ww2.coojoe.us:8080/abs.pdf and no luck, (hdc,tc & abs lights all kept comming on intermitently) SO... changed the box today and bled the system... Should be the end of my nightmare (hopefully) did a little 'break the bank' test drive and the lights did not come back on. Taking her on a long drive in the morning so we'll see for sure if she's fixed pretty soon here. I certainly hope so, have 2 mension that I still love the hell out of this truck even though they have a few abs gremlins and was stoked to find a used ABS modulator instead of going that $1,700 new part route. Found out the unit that was in my Rover (a 99 ABS modulator) had ALREADY been replaced with a 2003 unit, that lasted (wow) a few years. *** is with these Wabaco units? LR should sue them for a defective design, recall this CRAP and employ Bosch to pick up the pieces on this one - replace our abs modulators with a tried, true, reliable BOSCH product! I have one on my 89 Volvo that works to the day, *** Wabaco? I'm on my 3rd unit

R

Rawimpact

Can anyone help me with a solution for this, im sorry if it looks like i didnt read everything in this thread but i have. I saw you guys did a lot of repairs and stuff but i dont know what exactly it was that made your guys's lights turn on.

In my situation i took the rover to the mountains (no offroading, just for some fun in the snow) and used 4wd (if that matters), but now maybe 2-3 days later, the ABS light comes on, a light with TC, and a light with the landrover and a " ! " behind it, i do not know what to do.
Can anyone here please help me out!

thanks a lot
-a worried guy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi