Heavy coolant leak / failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 70k

3k miles ago replaced failing Water pump with URO from AB(rear oil cooler pipe and o rings as well)

Yesterday driving for 6 hours already and still 2 hours from home. Made quick stop and heavy acceleration up hill on ramp in 100 degree weather. 30 seconds later heard a screeching belt as we passed a truck( thinking to my self, idiot take better care of your car) 30 more seconds low coolant light (karma-I'm the idiot) pulled off next exit, draining coolant rapidly.

I had it towed to my in laws and won't have a chance to work on it for a few days, visible water near water pump, but unable to identify exact location of leak. Before I break it down I wanted to get some feedback about likely culprit.

I know their has been talk about a hose associated with pump failure, is that the LR018275 water outlet?

I have a new pump, pipe, and o rings in case but it seems crazy to have a failure that soon. I know URO isn't oem, but I would hope for more life.

Do our 5.0's share the same problem with the jags front crossover pipe failure?

Any advise on what to look for would be appreciated. I'll update

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kinda hard to determine without looking at it. Belt could have broken off and cut a hose or two...

Did you replaced the water pump yourself or have a shop do it?

keep us posted on what you find out.

Thanks

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced water pump myself, everything seemed normal the last couple months no leaks etc.

I only was able to look at it for 5 minutes or so due to our toddlers running around, but belts still intact descent tension on serpentine, water pump pulley didn't wobble like my previous failing one, no obvious hose disconection. Leak appeared to be higher up as water was around pulley. My guess was the coolant caused the belt to slip.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully it is just a busted hose then. shouldnt be too bad.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my fears were confirmed. It looks to be the water outlet/front crossover. The new water pump and back pipe look fine with no signs of leaking. But the plastic crossover right above the water pump has coolant marks where the joint of the plastic is. Part# is lr018275. Has anyone taken off the intake manifold on LR4. I read the forum about the XF owner who changes out all the Plastics just wondering what differences we have. Thanks parts department locally closed for tonight hope they have it in the morning.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4 back on road:) the local dealer LR thousand oaks had all the parts I needed thankfully. Intake manifold wasn't too bad, needed to remove ten bolts, fuel crossover line and a few other vacuum hoses etc. Replaced the 8 little silicone gaskets on manifold. The culprit was definitely the water outlet/front crossover. The tech said it was pretty common on LR4, but they don't usually see the back crossover fail, supposedly it's more common on the counterpart Jaguar he guessed because of heat cycling/vent differences. Anyways take what you will from that I opted not to do it now hopefully that won't come back to bite me.

I would suggest if your vehicle has 60k plus and you've switched your water pump and oil cooler pipe this part will likely fail soon after. Tech said they don't even remove the manifold completely just lift/tilt in place. I don't even think the throttle body needs to come off. Tried to clean out valves while intake was off pretty gummy and this was after I just did some $$$ intake cleaner via fuel. I'll post a couple pics. You can see remnants of the mouse i couldn't find in the first pic.
0922162050b-1-1.jpg
0922162052b-1-1.jpg

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow great job. do you have a pic of the actual part that failed.

Thanks

Aaron

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Its at the bottom of the first picture I should have taken a close up but you could flex the plastic and the seam would open up 1mm or so. It was leaking above #3 at the junction corner
Screenshot_2016-09-24-09-13-34-1.png

Christianmotox

Reaction score
Same thing happene to me, on mine the plastic had actually desintegrated. Replaced the pump anyways.

I was also concerned about the intake valves, unfortunately because this engines are direct injection this is very common.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happene to me, on mine the plastic had actually desintegrated. Replaced the pump anyways.

I was also concerned about the intake valves, unfortunately because this engines are direct injection this is very common.
How many miles on your 2010 when this failed? Did you replace the back/rear crossover?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA