Heavy coolant leak / failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is the water pump failing?

My ÜRO is about a year old with 15k miles on it. Yeah I concur a lot of aftermarket parts are questionable but let's be honest was the OEM that much better?

Matt Dameron

Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 the oil cooler pipe behind the water pump was leaking, so I replaced the water pump and pipe along with the new seal. After getting it all back together it's leaking again!!??? Does anybody have any tips on how to replace this? Also could I have not got the pipe seated all the way? I know it was a ***** to get it to line up so that is why I'm asking.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 the oil cooler pipe behind the water pump was leaking, so I replaced the water pump and pipe along with the new seal. After getting it all back together it's leaking again!!??? Does anybody have any tips on how to replace this? Also could I have not got the pipe seated all the way? I know it was a ***** to get it to line up so that is why I'm asking.

Just take your time, study the orientation of cooler pipe and how it fits in. I know some people don't but I used a super thin layer of aviation cement on the gaskets. Sounds like mine, pump was bad but also crossover pipe, I would just double check the crossover pipe is ok as it is a known culprit. See picture above not same as oil cooler pipe.

Matt Dameron

Reaction score
I just talked to a tech at the dealer and he said replace the crossover pipe as he would guarantee that's the true problem, so I ordered the parts and will be doing the repair this week. I'll post break down photos as well as the defected part. Thanks for the reply

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
I just did my crossover pipe this afternoon. Both tubes were basically split where the o-rings fit in the pipe and once unscrewed came loose and left the orings and plastic lip in the mounting.

It was pretty straight forward. Lots of wiring, vacuum lines and cooling hoses to disconnect. I know I broke at least 2 plastic clips due to old crusty plastics. So be gentle.

Pull filter tops off and MAF from intake, Once I got some of the lines loose I just laid the intake off to the left front side.

The stainless line going over the manifold IS FUEL and PRESSURIZED. DAMHIK. Not much fuel but have a rag handy. It needs to be removed. As well as the torx bolts on the aft end of the manifold holding the wiring harness.

I vacuumed all around the manifold before removing as there was dirt, leaves and few turds in there and the intake holes are IMMEDIATELY adjacent to the area outside the manifold.

I wiped up the surfaces and the o rings and re used them. They seemed great.

I did not remove the manifold just worked under the lifted front end. Used a strap to the hood to hold it up.

Intake valves were crusty. That will have to be another day.

It was a 4 hour job but next time it would be maybe 2 hours working methodically to R&R.

Once I figure out what I am going to do with intake valves I will pull all the way and do those.

Tom Palumbo

Reaction score
Please elaborate? I have coolant leaking down the back of my motor. Is there any chance this is my problem as well? 2012 LR4 5.0. There is no coolant on water pump just pouring out near passenger firewall. I did have the truck on ramps (Front). That may be why it poured out the back. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank You immensely.

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
I would think so if there was coolant in the valley under the intake.

You might be able to see into that space....truck not here right now or I would check.

5206-b50434e73fa78e945c09bf90e65a8f58.jpg

^ ^ ^
1 2 3

(THE SPACING DOESN'T STICK.......slide that 2 over to the right side of the metal box and the 3 over to the far right corner of the pic)

1 bolted down ear on right side of car
2 bolted down ear on the right side of car

Mine were cracked at the location where it was bolted to the bottom of the V.

The black piece running along bottom of photo from 2 to 3 is crossover pipe and comes out the front of the motor and loops down to waterpump. See if you can look down along this pipe into the valley under the intake manifold. Maybe you can see fluid under there. I could smell mine even though it was very small.

Only 3 bolts to R&R crossover, but you have to get there....

Last edited:

Tom Palumbo

Reaction score
Thank You Ric in Richmond. I have a buddy up there by you some where. Did you happen the change the back coolant thing?

Update. No I have changed my front cross over pipe, my water pump, and oil cooler tube. It seems I must be leaking on the back pipe LR077042. Has anyone changed this? Is it as easy as the front cross over? The front one was really pretty easy. I changed all of the front brakes today and saw coolant running down back of engine still. It has to be the back Coolant Outlet Flange. I cant seem to get this thing to quit leaking. Its getting old quick. I am afraid my wife will seize the engine is she doesn't keep close eye on it. I check the coolant every time I walk by the car.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV