Heavy coolant leak / failure

Discussion in 'LR4' started by stufrowin, Sep 19, 2016.

1. stufrowin

stufrowin Full Access Member

Are you sure it is the water pump failing?

My ÜRO is about a year old with 15k miles on it. Yeah I concur a lot of aftermarket parts are questionable but let's be honest was the OEM that much better?

2. Matt Dameron

Matt Dameron New Member

I have a 2011 LR4 the oil cooler pipe behind the water pump was leaking, so I replaced the water pump and pipe along with the new seal. After getting it all back together it's leaking again!!??? Does anybody have any tips on how to replace this? Also could I have not got the pipe seated all the way? I know it was a bitch to get it to line up so that is why I'm asking.

3. stufrowin

stufrowin Full Access Member

Just take your time, study the orientation of cooler pipe and how it fits in. I know some people don't but I used a super thin layer of aviation cement on the gaskets. Sounds like mine, pump was bad but also crossover pipe, I would just double check the crossover pipe is ok as it is a known culprit. See picture above not same as oil cooler pipe.

4. Matt Dameron

Matt Dameron New Member

I just talked to a tech at the dealer and he said replace the crossover pipe as he would guarantee that's the true problem, so I ordered the parts and will be doing the repair this week. I'll post break down photos as well as the defected part. Thanks for the reply