Help me with my 2003 Discovery!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dzd300

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply, i will foward this to my mechanic. I will keep you posted on progress. Thanks again!
Deb

After all that work i got my truck back doing the same exact thing. Still tapping, oil light flashing at warm idle. I will now drive this thing until it blows up! I will then look into a new engine from the UK.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey did no one reply about the 2003 engine block issue

I had a 2003 Discovery with this same issue - there were faulty engine blocks that caused oil pumps to be out of alignment / go bad. Do a google search. Not sure you will get anything out of it but its an issue on the 2003 4.6 motors.

03Discogirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I hope I didn't make a huge mistake. My husband was home on leave a couple of weeks ago and we went to the auction and picked up a 2003 Discovery. A day after I brought it home the oil light went on. I have it at the mechanic now and they are charging me $1900 for a new oil pump. I have been googling my heart out and hope to God this is the only problem because I have the tapping also. So I will happily admit when it come to cars I am totally playing the dumb blonde card. Any advise would be welcome since my husband doesn't come back from Afghanistan for another 6 months. I just don't want to be pouring money into this without some sort of knowledge. Did you ever get the tapping fixed?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly $1900 for an oil pump.... you must have went to the LR dealer. The tapping may also be the oil pump.

The oil pump have have been under the recall if you did go to the dealership ask if it was done or not. The 03 had a recall on the oil pump.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DiscoGirl: I sincerely believe your best option at this point would be to get three knowledgeable LandRover people to look at it. Dealership, an two independents. Don't tell each one about the others. Get the codes read at all three and write them down! I hope you got it for a good price. Sometimes vehicles at auction are there for a reason. Of course any used vehicle can expect some repairs because when the original owner heard the cost of repairs, he chose to sell it. No one sells a car that trouble free and in great shape. After you get your information together, come back here and get some great advise from guys like Mike, Joey and the experts... They got me all fixed up and I had the same sort of problem from just buying a Land Rover off eBay. Patience and don't panic.

03Discogirl

Reaction score
Joey: Can you believe LR dealer was actually cheaper? The problem is I live in a hodunk town. I have lived here for 7 yrs and have only seen 2 other LR's. The other issue is the LR Dealer is about 25 miles away through lots of traffic and lights so I would have to have it towed there. The place I have it comes highly reccomended and they do have a certified LR mechanic. Oh to be back in S Florida right now with lots and lots of LRs. I am having them do it. The mechanic told me he did not hear anything that would indicate engine trouble, just the oil pump, so fingers crossed this will do it. I did read all about the recall and when I talked to LR they said they know there was a tech advisory but they do not cover replacing it. CRAZY!!!
I just want it fixed fast so I can go play with it in the mountains!!! My next post will probably be that I flipped it offroading, lol!

03Discogirl

Reaction score
alzerom: I did talk to LR, this mechanic seems pretty good and high reccomended so we will see. I will be the pain in the butt dumb blonde on here because this is the 1st LR we have owned. We used to have a Dodge Raider and I loved it, because it went anywhere and everywhere. I just want to take the LR out and play with it in the mountains but I don't want to be hiking back. We did get it for a song, less than $3k, so I am ok with putting some money into it, just not so much that I could have bought a new car with it. Thanks you guys, I am not hypeventilating anymore knowing I can get some honest advise!!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Under 3k for an 03 disco isn't bad... I almost bought an 04 the other day for $2500, but I wanted to just spend 2k since it "had engine issues" I am 90% sure it was either oil pump or Flex plate bolts... but you can never tell until you tear into it.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the oil pump idea better than mine. I'm changing my VOTE! :)

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA