Help on Decision - 97 Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, make sure everything works (cruise, A/C, windows, wipers, defroster, etc.) :biggrin:
  • Check to make sure the truck will go into low range and that the center diff will lock (yellow indicator turns on on the dash) and unlock. DO NOT lock the diff while on pavement, get into at least :biggrin: a grassy area while on a test drive and try it there. The linkage for the center diff and lock will oftentimes not have been used by the prior owner and jams up -- it's about a $500 repair to replace and install a new linkage, so it's worth checking now. IMHO don't buy a truck where that lever won't move.
  • Check the diffs and transfer case for signs of leaks (esp. at back of x-case by parking brake assembly).
  • Check for signs of oil leaks (although they all leak, it gets obvious if it leaks too much -- there'll be oil splahed all over the inside of the engine compartment).
  • Check for rust on or around the outsides of the alpine windows.
  • Check for rust inside the door jamb areas.
Hmmmm....if I think of anything else off the top of my head I'll post more...

V

vandermeulen

Thanks much for the info. I've checked for rust around windows and door jamb (and everywhere else I could see) on my 1st visit to the dealer. All good on that account but I will check the other items you mentioned as well. Great input- THX

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hmmmm. 128k miles?? That is high ..I might think twice about that one, IMHO. I bought mine with 50k miles on it all, all records and I am still having problems that make my stomach curl @ times (O2 sensor woes, cats blew too, gasket leaks).
Melissa
1998 D1 71 K miles

V

vandermeulen

Actually it's only approx. 80000 miles (128000km) still alot I suppose. I checked out the vehicle again this evening and if I like everything the dealer has agreed to then I might go for it. I saw all the service records. They were kept up to date and all recalls were taken care of at a local rover dealer. It doesn't seem to have any leaks, runs fine, idles steady at 800-900 and they had already fixed some of the electronic issues I told them about. 2 year warranty as well. Any last thoughts before I take the plunge?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make them clean all codes. While 80K is ok for 97 (7 x 12 is 84.. i.e its normal wear of 10-12K per year) - you better get them clean all codes before you bite it. SLS, engine, whatever....

Check curling dash. If its there - make them stick 50$ kit in there to pull it down, so you wouldnt have to do it yourself (its pain in bottom, unless you keen to remove windshielf). Make them peform engine flush and B&G vacuuming. Make them reset pin preload on front wheels - at 80K you will need that. Make them stick in new O2 sensort - at 80K you definetly need those. New wires can be good idea as well (though that one isnt hard). Depending on how much they asking you may consider poking them to check/replace entire rubber trimming (weather strips). Those bound to crack at that age...

Stuff like that..

In general - enjoy your rover, and prepare to get hands awfully dirty :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV