Hiddden Winch Install -- Estimate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
I picked up a terra-firma hidden winch mounting plate and got a great deal on a superwinch. Reviewing a number of sites on how to go a about doing the install I got scared away from doing the project myself. I just don't feel like I am ready to cut pieces out of the bumper.

I emailed a local shop that I expect has little experience with LR's all of the above information and asked for an estimate. They asked I stop by to let them take a look. They explained to me they were estimating the install would take between 20 and 22 hours. At $85 an hour thats coming close to $2,000.

Anyone have any experience with cost of actual install.

Cheers!

geoffx19

Reaction score
I just finished mine last weekend.
It's reasonably straight forward. Took me about 10 hours all up but that was mainly because I didn't know what I was doing. I'm confident I could finish the job in 7 hours or less if doing it again. The only tricky bit is how much to cut from the bumper backing plastic but once I figured out that you can't leave any in front of the winch tray it was easy.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
@geoffx19 -- Did you use the terrafirma mount? I have cut the plastic back around the top front edge of the mount and notched out the freespool handle (that I had to clock back to 9:00 because of the lack of vertical clearance. Do you have a photo or two you could post? It would be most appreciated.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
This is a close up of the rough cut I started for the handle. I will take another pass with the grinder and then use hand file to smooth and even it out.
IMG_2297.JPG

geoffx19

Reaction score
My winch is this one.
I bought it second hand but the components look identical. It's fitted to a MY12 SDV6.

Regarding the pic question - I've got a few pics but the ones of the install aren't very good quality, is there something you're looking for specifically?

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
I'm very interested in mounting a hidden winch in my LR4, but have come upon a small dilemma. It seems options fade away for anything after 2013. It seems the replacement of the 3.0 6cyl over the V8 limited options. Does anybody have any experience mounting a hidden winch in a 2014+ model?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in mounting a hidden winch in my LR4, but have come upon a small dilemma. It seems options fade away for anything after 2013. It seems the replacement of the 3.0 6cyl over the V8 limited options. Does anybody have any experience mounting a hidden winch in a 2014+ model?

Any luck? I'm interested in a hidden winch on my '15

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? $2k seems way steep for that install. I know a few shops in central Florida that do LR builds/repairs that do that install for around $800 labor. Try sources that know Land Rovers

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
@ncburch22-- I'm based in Missouri. I'm certain the shop didn't want to mess with the install so gave me a crazy high estimate. I ended up doing the install myself. It's not 100% professional but frankly wasn't all that difficult.

thebigtruck

Reaction score
I have done extensive research to find an option to mount a winch on my '15 LR4 with little palatable results and thought I'd share my findings here. Perhaps someone has found a workable solution and would like to share? I don't want to add 165lbs plus another +/-70 for an ARB bull bar and warn winch.

Devon 4x4 sells a hidden winch kit but have been advised it does not fit non-diesel models for 15/16 model years. Land Rover sells a winch tray (part number VPLAP0130), originally manufactured by Warn for a ridiculous $4,000!!!. And of course some folks here have suggested the DA7537 made/sold by the LR Centre. Ebay has got nothing.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA