high pitch squeal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

:help: This just started today. I have a 99 D2 that just turned over 70,000 miles. It is driving great but has started making a high pitch squealing sound while rolling. It doesn't matter if it is in gear or not. Pressing the brakes does not change the sound. It sounds like it is coming from the transfer case or driveshafts. I put the transfer case in low and the sound did not change. Could something be resting on one of the driveshafts? Has anyone ever had this happen? Sounds like metal on metal. Like the warning tab on your brake pads... Parking brake maybe?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
D

discomike

Beau,
The front drive shafts are prone to failing at the double cardon joints where the shaft hooks to the t/case. If they haven't been replace with new u-joints with grease fitting this could be it.
How are the brake pads, got one metal to metal?
How about your e-brake, could you have been driving with it on a little?
There have been some problems with the pulleys on the engine that can cause a bad squealing sound, there have been some recalls actually to replace them.
Otherwise I can't think of what else might cause the sound you're getting.
Mike J.

C

campbell

Mike, thanks for the reply...
The front driveshaft is new. (GBR)
Could be brake pads (hope that is all it is), but wouldn't the sound change when the brakes are pressed? Also this just started all of the sudden and is continuous.
The parking brake seems to be working fine and the sound does not change while slowing rolling and applying the parking brake. Last night I did back out of the garage with the parking brake on, but it was only about 15-20 feet. Not sure if this caused the problem or is just coincidence.
Again, thanks for the quick response and if you or anyone has other info or something to try please let me know. I am about 60 miles from the nearest service shop. THe tow alone would be $150. Tac on the $65/hour and this could be an expensive week.
My luck was going so good too. I won a wake skate, a slalom ski, and $4 in the Tennessee lottery. Now at 70,000 the disco is falling apart. LIFE IS GOOD...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beau, have you been offroading lately? :) Can be as simple as bend mudhshield or something caught in mudshield and squaling against brake rotor.

Also can be caused by dry transfer case or dry t-case output flange. Can be taken out, greased well with some good grease (high temp, resistant to washing.. ahh.. lucas greaaaase) and put to rest.

D

discomike

Hey Beau,
They never fall apart, they just want more and more of your attention.
Wish I had some other ideas for you.
Take care and let me know what you find.
Also don't feel so bad, out here in Santa Barbara, shops charge $110.00 and up an hour.
Mike J.

C

campbell

Uzbad said:
Also can be caused by dry transfer case or dry t-case output flange. Can be taken out, greased well with some good grease (high temp, resistant to washing.. ahh.. lucas greaaaase) and put to rest.

Is this something for the shadetree mechanic to tackle, or is this something the professionals should handle?

I am taking it tonight to have teh brakes checked. We'll see what happens... :ahhhhh:

D

discomike

Beau,
if the can run it while it is up in the air, maybe you will at least be able to pin point it.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beau - its dead simple. Mudshield - you just will need to hit it with mallet or hammer or bend with pliers. If its front flange (i just realized it also can be mudshield on flange squealing against t-case) - then you will need few sockets to get driveshaft end off, and big ass socket to get securing nut off and then on (torque is something like 124lb). And some red threadlocker.

Mike is right - easiest way to pinpoint - put it on 4 stands off the ground (borrow some from friend if needed) and crank it up. And listen while it runs to check where it coming from. Discoveries are very good at making sound appears from completely difference source than it really is.

C

campbell

Yeah, I'm hoping to be able to do that this evening at the brake shop.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually its very weird that applying brakes isnt changing it. Because then it should stop driveshafts from rotating, and thus it shall be eliminated...

Can be whine from engine compartment - then you are facing ye old "screwdriver in the year" procedure to find what the heck is it. Normally it will be alternator/pulley/water pump :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA