high pitch squeal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

The service shop said it was not the brakes. They said it sounded like it was coming from the u-joint in the rear driveshaft. I had them grease it while they were under there and they said to bring it back tomorrow, as it was closing time. When I pulled out of the parking lot it was still making the noise. By the time I got home (about 10 miles at 60MPH) it had stopped. I jacked the car up and turned the wheels. I could not reproduce the sound. I had my wife drive forward and backwards in the driveway and still could not reproduce the sound.
Not sure what to do now. I haven't decided whether or not to take it back to the service shop and have them just go ahead and replace the u-joint. I will see how it acts tomorrow.

D

discomike

Beau,
If the grease fixed it for now that means you are probably ready for a new U-Joint, and all you are doing is putting off aeven bigger expense if you let it go. make sure the new one has a grease fitting, also have them add grease fitting to the slip shafts if you don't have them and grease them also along with the front shaft.
Take care.
Mike J.

C

campbell

I don't know how much this shop has worked on Land Rovers in the past. Do you think they should be able to replace teh u-joint? It's pretty straight forward, right? Is there a trick to the rotoflex?

D

discomike

Beau,
yes U-Joints are pretty straight forward.
Let's hope this fixes your noise.
Mike J.

C

campbell

I believe it is going to be the center ball joint in the front drive shaft. The service shop could not reproduce the noise. Of course when I got about 5 miles from their door it started making the noise. I noticed this time that it is worse on deceleration. I got home and pin-pointed the noise at the front drive shaft. I removed the front drive shaft and the center knuckle joint seems shot. It sqeeks and binds and is just not smooth. Definitely not like when I installed it. Called the company that built and I am sending it back to be checked-out. With the drive shaft out and the diff locked it drives like a champ. I may just leave it out for a while. How long can I drive with the drive shaft out and the diff locked?

D

discomike

Beau,
You can drive on it as long as you need.
Take care,
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest to call Tom Woods folkz instead (4xshafts.com) and ask them to send you gold seal joint (their latest and greatest). Those things seems to be bullerproof

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut