high pitch squeal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

How hard is it to repair/replace the front output shaft bearing on the transfer case? While I have the front driveshaft out I would like to do some maintenance on this area, if it is possible. What should I do?

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Does it sound like chirping you can hear it when your driving under 50k/h with the window open, over 50k/hr road noise seems to drown it out. When I am driving I hear chirping, you can really hear it if you drive by anything that can reflect the sound back. I have brought it into the local LR dealer and they have fixed it three times! Yes I said three times, and it’s back again! :argh: They have told me that it is to do with the differential and will not explain more then that. I have a 99D2 with less then 55k on it that I bought new from them and I am getting a little mad that they have not yet fixed it properly. :mad:
Is this what you are hearing?

C

campbell

Yeah, that is it...
They need to remove the front drive shaft and check it. I would bet that is what is making the sound. It sounds like they have been band-aiding the problem somehow since it is so close to being out of warranty. If the front drive shaft breaks you will probably be looking at replacing the transmission. You could remove it yourself, it's not that difficult, but if they have been trying to fix the noise I would let them take care of it. I have been messing with this drive shaft problem for over 2 months. I thought I had it fixed when I bought a new custom drive shaft. Apparently I was wrong.

Muddyone

Reaction score
Campbell check out this web site I think it explains the problem we are having with that sound

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/68/99681506.html

look at number 46
TEC510200 MAY 00 Drivetrain - Rear Axle Clicking Noise

I think this bulletin may solve the problem or tell how, id suggest going to your rover dealer or e-mail there service depot and asking them too look up the code.
I was just in for service today and they have tried to blame the noise on my tires! Even though they have fixed it in the past by fixing something in the driveshaft.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beau - any updates on it? :)

Tar - chirping noise can also be something as stupid as loose mudshield on driveflange.. Been there :)

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loud screach / squeal

Campbell, does this happen under hard acceleration (upper rpm's)? When a cat becomes a melted blob it can block the exit of exhaust at the rear of the cat, it will sound like a belt slipping, loud squeal. This will go away at low throttle / rpm's. Carl..................................o&o>...............................

Muddyone

Reaction score
no more sounds!

Campbell I have just found out that the chirping is caused by a dry seal in the rear propshaft, pack with grease and it goes away. Ill see how long for, next time they will put in new parts to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

C

campbell

Got the driveshaft back after the 3rd time and it is squealing again! :mad:
Every time there was a different reason as to why it was out of balance!
With the driveshaft out, no sounds, nothing! The squealing occurs at any speed and is random. What about pinion bearing? I should've had this checked the last time the driveshaft was out, but couldn't find time. However, I would think that it would make noise even if the driveshaft was out.
At this point I want my money back for the driveshaft. I would like to buy a Tom Woods driveshaft and try it.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh.. sorry to hear that its still there.

Easiest thing to try - get truck on stands, crank it up, put in something like "D", crawl under . So it will sort of "drive" while you can try to locate sound source with stetoscope or something like it.

In general - bearings on pinion indeed should be still activated even if shaft is off, however load on them is different when shaft is on. But then they shouldnt really squeal, they would rumble or make some oscilating grinding-like noise or something to that effect. If you want to eliminate that one - just take off flange, and check seal and around flange on how dry it is. Lift creates (indeed) situation when pinion angle is higher and that portion becomes underlubricated, if you driving on flat surface for too long.

C

campbell

No lift...
I have grown tired of dealing with the problem. I am taking it in to the pros tomorrow. We'll see what the verdict is... Thanks to everyone for all of the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV