Hold my beer...LR4 gets stuck, goes viral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need your advice (cf. my questions below), so I will shamefully admit to a somewhat similar problem I had last summer. I didn’t exactly drive into the sea, I wasn’t even on a beach - a good 100 m from it, in fact. But there was a pool/ford there filled with salt water, from the sea having entered deeper inland during a winter storm, then not evaporated completely. It was small and hard ground to begin with, but then exactly the same problem as this poor guy - minus, luckily, any waves. I got stuck and had to be towed away.

I kept the engine running all the time. The front of the car kept sinking in deeper and at one point
the water went up to within 1 or 2 inches of the air inlets, at which point my LR4 smugly informed me that it was lifting itself to a super-high position (taller than offroad mode, did you even know it had that in it?). So I dont think any water got in, unless very small amounts from ripples created by us walking around the car. A litre or so may have got into the passanger compartment (pedals area) after Id closed the door too dynamically (the water was below the doorline when I opened it).

After getting out, I drove back to camp (15 mins) and let the engine run for another 5 mins or so. At one point, it sputter slightly and I switched it off. But a few hours later, it started fine. I later hosed the entire car and chassis with sweet water and let it dry for 2 days in hot summer weather.
I have driven it ever since without any issues at all.

My questions are, should I worry about any long-term corrosion problems nevertheless, either in the engine bay or in the cabin, below the pedals/driver’s seat? I know LRs are factory protected against corrosion, key parts insulated etc. I have had the car lifted and inspected since, no corrosion in sight on the chassis. But I’m worried about the cabin, should I get the lining removed and the floor checked? Or am being paranoid?

I guess the guilt feeling is haunting me - or call it shame. I was exhausted to the highest degree when that thing happened. No alcohol or other intoxication but I just wasn’t thinking straight, else it would have occured to me to inspect the entire ford on foot before driving into it...

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...at which point my LR4 smugly informed me that it was lifting itself to a super-high position (taller than offroad mode, did you even know it had that in it?)...

That's one of the best things I've ever read on this little forum.

patski

Reaction score
Yeah, well, I was turning around after launching our jetskis at Folsom Lake and slurp, right to the frame.

Some sort of weird quicksand hole right where I'd launched 2 mins before.... everywhere was super firm around the quicksand. Pulled out by an LR3.

TlR0okm.jpg

GXKqb5B.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV