how deep can you go...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was the section of the trail where you go up to the mine building. I think it is the North trail. There is also a really cool beaver pond crossing a couple miles further in.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the mine building you speak of?
champion_mine2.jpg

more recent:
2007_0902_Leadville213-large.jpg

That is champion Mine and is located on North Halfmoon. Now I know which crossing that is. It gets deeper as you head up the road, so once you're in you're committed! I was mistaken, we had camped up South Halfmoon and there is a creek crossing at the bottom of the hill just a few feet from where it splits from North Halfmoon, then one near the top that has a pretty nasty exit. I liked it because it weeds out a lot of folks!!

Sorry for the tangent there!

J.D.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me too. I've only been up there once, but it's one of my favorites. I think I'd like to camp on the upside of that creek crossing on the North spur as the fishing has to be better in that larger stream that the little one on the south spur.

J.D.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THe key is keeping water away from the air intake on the right side of the vehicle. If you go at a nice slow deliberate speed, you will form a bow wave in front of the vehicle, that helps keep water low as it goes past the front wheel, thus, clear of the intake.

Seach Google for videos of water crossing bow wave
That would be the left side in Ireland:).

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word of help to all those with LR4s (not sure if LR3 has the same solution) with air suspension. If you’re STANDING in offroad height in water almost-inlet deep, the car will sense this and automatically raise itself by a further 3.5 cm (about 1.4 in.). At the same time, it will ask you whether you want to lift it by a FURTHER 3.5/1.4. To do so, press/hold the brake pedal and the air lift button during a few seconds. That way, you get an extra 7 cm (2.8 in.) ABOVE OFFROAD HEIGHT.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 will raise up in certain scenarios and "Super Extended Height" is available, per your description. I don't know if it does it for a water crossing wherein the vehicle is static, as you describe.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the better for LR3 owners then! My point about standing is actually less about the first lift (Super Ext) than about the final stage, which has no official name, I believe, call it Hyper. Since one has to press the break pedal, it is not an option for situations when you're already driving through the ford and suddenly realising the water's too deep. If you stop to lift, the effect of pushing a wave in front of the car might disappear before you've had a chance to lift it. The best solution, I suppose, is to just bypass the electronics, which is my plan:).

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the best solution is to know the water depth and cross at a steady pace such that you create a good bow wave and keep the water away from the intake.

Also, the "first lift" is Extended Mode, the second one with the brake pedal is Super Extended Height.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA