How does it work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my first LR4.

I had first service done by nearest dealer. At about 7.5k miles front rotors warped and they fixed under warranty and did an oil change.

I recently got a reminder from the dealer who sold me the car that I was due for service.

Don't dealers enter this service data into my cars digital record? Or didn't my selling dealer just not bother to look?

I was also advised to get the oil changed every 8k mikes. Does make sense? What do you all do?

Also, if I have my local indie do this routine stuff will my warrantee be affected?

Thank you

Frank

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was not aware of any digital record for car service other than what your mechanic may keep on hand. They may do a "carfax" look-back if specifically needed, but otherwise I wouldn't expect a new shop to know what the old shop did. It'd be nice thought!

Yeah, 7500K is about right.

Now, my new used LR4 was a dealer vehicle, so they took care of it for years, and there was not a single record from them on the vehicle? I'm not sure if they purged it somehow so I couldn't see the history, or just never bothered to enter anything.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my oil & filter every 7500 miles using a Mityvac and Mobil 1 from Walmart. Easiest oil change you will ever do.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frank, you didn't mention what year your LR4 is, but if it's 2010-2013 be careful with oil selection. The Jaguar V8 has a very specific oil certification required and many/most 5W-20 full synthetics do not have the appropriate approvals. If you have the dealer do the oil changes, great, they will use the correct juice. 7500 miles is probably a good idea, don't go past the 10k recommended limit, cut that in half (5k) with severe service (towing, extended idling/city, etc).

More technical info is at this thread to support my theory that ~7500 is probably a good change interval with the factory/dealer oil in the V8:
http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/engine-oil-analysis-results-on-2010-lr4-v8.29533/

:cool:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frank, you didn't mention what year your LR4 is, but if it's 2010-2013 be careful with oil selection. The Jaguar V8 has a very specific oil certification required and many/most 5W-20 full synthetics do not have the appropriate approvals. If you have the dealer do the oil changes, great, they will use the correct juice. 7500 miles is probably a good idea, don't go past the 10k recommended limit, cut that in half (5k) with severe service (towing, extended idling/city, etc).

More technical info is at this thread to support my theory that ~7500 is probably a good change interval with the factory/dealer oil in the V8:
http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/engine-oil-analysis-results-on-2010-lr4-v8.29533/

:cool:

Mobil 1 full synth 5W-20 does fit the specifications. I really don't think these engines are that super sensitive, but I could be wrong. Time will tell. I use Mobil 1.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 full synth 5W-20 does fit the specifications. I really don't think these engines are that super sensitive, but I could be wrong. Time will tell. I use Mobil 1.
The Mobil-1 5W-20 meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A spec, but says nothing about the WSS-M2C925-A required by Jaguar / Land Rover per the factory manuals.
https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-5w20

Also, the Mobil-1 USA website shows no oils for the LR4. If you use their product finder (link below), it shows "Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS M2C925-A. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications."
https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector

I've tried really hard to find documentation showing that the 925 spec was superceded / replaced by the 945 but so far, no luck. I know, I know, it's not like the engine is going to blow up using Mobil-1 or anything, but I'd feel better if Mobil would officially recommend their 5W-20 as OK for the 925 spec...

:dontknow:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're here concerned about using the perfect oil, then there is the other extreme...today I saw an LR4 waiting in line at a Jiffy Lube. Who knows what oil they put in it.

I know there are people here closing in on 150K miles that have been using Mobil 1 5W-20 with zero engine issues.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mobil-1 5W-20 meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A spec, but says nothing about the WSS-M2C925-A required by Jaguar / Land Rover per the factory manuals.
https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-5w20

Also, the Mobil-1 USA website shows no oils for the LR4. If you use their product finder (link below), it shows "Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS M2C925-A. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications."
https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector

I've tried really hard to find documentation showing that the 925 spec was superceded / replaced by the 945 but so far, no luck. I know, I know, it's not like the engine is going to blow up using Mobil-1 or anything, but I'd feel better if Mobil would officially recommend their 5W-20 as OK for the 925 spec...

:dontknow:

On this page, Mobil says that the 5w-20 Mobil 1 oil meets both specs:

http://mobil.moovelub.com/en/veiculos/carro/mobil-1-5w-20

Before you think that it could be a different blend in whatever country that website is for, here is the MSDS sheet for that particular Mobil 1, which provides the same product code as the 5w-20 available in the USA. In other words, it's the same stuff. No idea why the USA Mobil website doesn't list is as a viable product, but it appears to be.

This notwithstanding, the WSS-spec is a "long-life" spec and is required because of the LR recommended 15,000 mile oil-change intervals, which, based on the collective conscience of the maintenance-**** Internet-Roveratti, is a generally bad idea and should be disregarded fore a more reasonable 7,500 mile interval. Further, I had the parts guy at my local Rover dealer (Land Rover Merriam) tell me that I should just use whatever name-brand synthetic floated my boat.

It's all a bunch of hullaballoo and anyone can make a good argument to go with a certain preferred oil. I use Mobil 1 because it's easy to come by and my lazy ass enjoys only one Amazon click as opposed to multiple clicks somewhere else, but it's not like the Castrol Rover oil is an absolute dealbreaker money-wise in comparison.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been using Mobil1 on my v8 Disco4 for nearly 30k Miles without a single issue. I used it on my ‘05 v8 Didco3 as well problem-free.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, as I mentioned at the end of my last post, the M-1 is probably just fine. Wouldn't surprise me if it's some weird USA-specific thing where Mobil's legal department doesn't want to risk some goofy lawsuits, so they just say it doesn't meet the LR4 spec and then they are off the hook for any liability.

I can get the OE oil from my local LR dealer for <$8 per quart so for the time being, I'm going with that. I totally understand that may not be a viable option for everyone though, and M-1 is easily available to most US residents.

:musicus:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA