How is your new D5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyingdog

Reaction score
From what I read on another LR forum, the TD6 discovery is being ordered by people that currently own an aging Touareg TDI. I can see where the Discovery is a good choice if coming out of a Touareg. And if you're a fan of diesel, there aren't many options left in the US.

Speaking of Diesels. I'm really happy with my D5 HSE Diesel as is, but there's a company that has a chip for the D5 diesel and it sounds fantastic.They claim 325 HP,776 Nm Torque and 33 mpg? Maybe other folks know this company and have experienced their chips. Tempting Mod

https://www.chipexpress.com/products/land-rover/discovery/diesel-chip-tuning-boxes/5609/

flyingdog

Reaction score
Speaking of Diesels. I'm really happy with my D5 HSE Diesel as is, but there's a company that has a chip for the D5 diesel and it sounds fantastic.They claim 325 HP,776 Nm Torque and 33 mpg? Maybe other folks know this company and have experienced their chips. Tempting Mod

https://www.chipexpress.com/products/land-rover/discovery/diesel-chip-tuning-boxes/5609/

Attention D5 folks:
This guy has some great information videos on the D5.
Here's his site DiscoRover.com

I have no affiliation with this gentleman,just sharing info.

Mario

Reaction score
So I just spent a day with a D5 loaner and put about 100 miles on it. Overall, I could live with it but still like my LR4 better. The hardest thing to adjust to is how low you sit compared to the LR4. Feels like I'm driving my old Audi allroad in terms of seating position. But here is what I noticed - the back edge of the hood is about 4" taller than the base of the dashboard. So as you look out the bottom of the windshield, you are looking under the hood at black plastic. They should have placed the hood below the base of the windshield. And why the huge crevasse between the hood and windshield? It was filled with tons of leaves when I got in the loaner D5.
Hey Paul. The issue with the height was exactly my doubt. How lower it is when compared to the "sit in a tower" commanding position of the LR4? Do you really feel like driving a sedan or a Touareg (to be less dramatic)? How many inches less would you say? Thanks

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul. The issue with the height was exactly my doubt. How lower it is when compared to the "sit in a tower" commanding position of the LR4? Do you really feel like driving a sedan or a Touareg (to be less dramatic)? How many inches less would you say? Thanks

The seating position is like our old Q7, so yes, like a Touareg. It's far higher than a sedan but not like an LR4. Like I said, the view out the front is goofy because the hood sits higher than the base of the windshield so you are looking under the hood at black plastic. If the base of the hood was even with the base of the windshield you would at least feel like you are sitting higher.

The bigger seating issue was the back seat, as my rather tall teenage daughters commented they were "sitting on the floor". They also felt the D5 rear seats felt "cheap" compared to the LR4 rear seats.

Last edited:

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I haven't been on this forum for long time (sold my LR3 wich i I liked). Current owner of 2012 InfiInfi QX56 which much more luxurious then LR3. Now strongly considering D5. Didnt have a chance to test drive new D5 yet, but not sure if it will be an upgrade or downgrade after Qx56. I was proud owner of my LR3, but i hated the loose plastic on a panel and dashboard. I still miss this car in a way because of a character Land Rover has. I dont go off road because i have sid by side, just need comfort, space and towing power.

TXLR4

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread, but curious what people's updated views are. We've got about 90,000 miles on the LR4 now and have it at the dealer for some service. They gave us a Disco 5 for a loaner and I've gotta say I'm a little disappointed. This doesn't really have the "truck" feel as much like the LR4 does. Are you getting the same feeling?
Also, and maybe this is just the one we've got, it seems like the accelerator pedal has to be pushed pretty far down (like more than just a tap) before you notice any jump in the RPM...then after that it jumps and goes. Kind of makes it a little irritating to drive. Maybe there's something wrong with the pedal? Overall, i think the motor lacks a little in power when compared to the 5.0 in the LR4. Certainly peppy with the super charger, but just doesn't feel like it has the torque that the V8 does.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my D5. It's the quintessential fusion of long distance highway driving comfort and apocalyptic off-road capability. I certainly don't mind that it doesn't feel like a truck on the highway, which accounts for 99% of the odometer reading.

I'm hard over for Diesel and I'm very glad that the D5 could be ordered with the same big Diesel engine that's only otherwise available in the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport (but in no previous Land Rovers). If you want to accelerate more quickly, get used to using the shift paddles (it's my understanding that the vehicle normally starts off in second gear in order to save fuel, but I haven't confirmed that).

My one complaint was that it came with tires that were unsuitable for serious off-road use. I fixed that problem by swapping the 255/55-20 Goodyear Eagles for 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s (I also replaced the stock 20" x 8.5" wheels with 20" x 9.5" Redbourne wheels). In addition to greatly enhancing off-road performance, the wider wheels and tires noticeably improved the D5's on-road stability and handling.

Last edited:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seating position is like our old Q7, so yes, like a Touareg. It's far higher than a sedan but not like an LR4. Like I said, the view out the front is goofy because the hood sits higher than the base of the windshield so you are looking under the hood at black plastic. If the base of the hood was even with the base of the windshield you would at least feel like you are sitting higher.

The bigger seating issue was the back seat, as my rather tall teenage daughters commented they were "sitting on the floor". They also felt the D5 rear seats felt "cheap" compared to the LR4 rear seats.

Honestly, I drove my LR4 to trade in for my new Disco. I think the visibility is just or good or better from the driver position. The only reason I notice the hood thing is because you said something about it. It's still got the elevated feel. I don't ride in the back, but my kids aren't complaining.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a long time loyal relationship with my salesperson who is also a friend and the dealership. Whenever something interesting comes in they contact me about it before the listing goes live. They took a customer out of a heavily optioned Td6 because of a few visits regarding the infotainment being buggy which then resulted in updates and the ecu for the motor and transmission needed to updated. The customer no longer wanted to be in that vehicle and they put them into the same vehicle but standard fuel. The offer presented to me is that they would give me a very aggressive price on the vehicle along with CPO. That being said, am I purchasing someone else's headache or did the 2017/2018 have a batch of glitches which simply needed revision?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV