How to remove a Tow Hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Georover: me thinks the stealership is just trying to get you to buy a new tow assembly. My stealership was able to punch out the lock and I just bought a new lock off them. But if the other solution works then I say go for it! Good luck.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks joecool509. Looking forward to it :)
You can see the pin below the number 1. Use a pin punch to drive it out. (or a nail of the right size) then just pull the handle off and you will have pic 2 in your hand.

Use a dremel to cut off the metal round stock. Reassemble Never need a key again. Also BPUTAH sells handle replacements for 30$

SAM_0034.jpg
SAM_0035.jpg

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, tried to do that. I don't have enough room below the bumber and above the lock to punch it out with a nail. Ideas?

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get I pushed out parkways it may be enough to pull it off the shaft. You don't need to remove it completely. Otherwise drill out the roll pin or cut the whole thing off if you were planning on relaxing it anyways.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry for a minor highjack here, but I've got a related problem. After leaving my tow hitch on the LR3 through a decent portion of a Pittsburgh winter, the lock froze up (lots of salty crud in the locking mechanism). I found this thread and followed joecool's instructions...removed the handle, cut the locking pin down flush with the plastic "nub", and reinstalled the handle. I can pull the handle out, but it will not turn at all. I even tried grabbing the metal post that the handle slides over with vice-grips while the handle was removed and turning, but it will not budge.

This obviously sucks. Anybody have any thoughts on why the handle won't turn? Anything to try? Should I just hit it really hard with a 3lb sledge? The truck is at the dealer for the 75k service right now...I asked them to take a look, and they said "you need a new lock". Seeing as I cut the lock off, that shouldn't really matter. They seem to think they can get it off though, for an additional $122.80. I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my used LR3 came with a tow hitch installed. Now I want to remove it and noticed that the keyhole is full of dirt and mud and I have no key!

Suggestions?

Did you buy the vehicle from Bellevue LR? If so make them fix the stuff for you. If not, you should always check these things out before purchase.

spawnywhippet

Reaction score
Another thread hijack. I recently bought my 06 LR3 and the tow hitch lock had been reversed into and was completely bent and frozen. I dremeled the green plastic lock part off, removed the big geared hitch release pin that passes through the hitch and straightened it with some heat. I can now turn the release pin with grips, but the hitch does not drop out of the bumper. Is there some additional trick I need to do?

I also want to replace the green plastic lock. I saw that there are a few different locks. Mine is the one with a small black folding key. Does anyone have the part number to order this?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you folks want a permanent solution for this, in the form of a better hitch, drop me a PM w/e-mail. I'll have a solution in a 3-4 months.

Oh... and hit it with a hammer a couple of times.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi