Hybrid help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

Nitrousurf

Hi there! I'm not sure whether to put this in the Range Rover forum or this one...

I am building a Rangey/Series 3 hybrid (Series body work and and cab parts on a Range Rover chassis, with the disc brakes and coil springs etc). I need to put the Series fuel tank in the correct place for the vehicle (along side the main chassis rail, drivers side (right hand drive)), but because of the different mounts it doesn't look like its going to fit. Is there a way around this? I really don't want to put it in the Rangey position (at the rear of the chassis) because I don't want to have to re-route the fuel filler and lines. I guess I'll have to though, unless someone can help! Sorry for going on a bit!

Nitro

P.S. Whats with all the Disco owners? Nothing wrong with them, just seems a bit disproportional! Nevermind...

P.P.S Its an 80's spec Classic chassis

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liam,
First of all, WELCOME ABOARD!
Second of all, I think there are more Discovery people because they are more common. They are a more affoardable vehicles, so more people own them and there are more of them out there (unless you are on Sunset BLVD. and you will see about every 1 out of 6 cars is a Range Rover).
Third, I think that what you are doing is awesome! Very cool idea, and I respect you for that. Are the mounts too small or too big? If the mounts are too big, then I think that it might be possible to make a custom mount for the fuel tank. I don't know if you want to start custom making everything though, or even if you have access to welding tools.

I don't know what kind of manuals you have, but you might find some help if you go to the resources page and type in "manuals." Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

T

tuko

Liam,
I have a series 3, which is rebuilt on a Designa Coil Sprung Chassis. The standard series fuel tank will not fit, as you've learned. If you check Designa's homepage, you will see what the tanks look like and could get one made locally.

Basically, what they did, is removed a triangle section from the bottom of the tank, closes to the frame. This in turn gave the clearance for the suspension mounts. The tank is made from 2mm steel and holds about 42 - 43 L .

I find the tank to be too small, so this winter, my new project will be to make a larger tank, closer to 60 L. If your good with metal work and welding, I would suggest to make your own tank, certainly be much cheaper.

Cheers,
Todd.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV