I Challenge Anyone to Solve this Discovery No Spark Issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolt goes through the CPS and the heat shield sits over the top of the CPS. The bolt grounds the CPS to the bell housing. Make sure you install the CPS holder that looks like it steps down on one side. If you dont get a good ground you can do like I did and run a ground jumper wire from the bolt to the frame. Use a 12 gauge wire with closed electrical ends on both sides. The CPS will be grounded. I hear a lot of squacking about the CPS wires being inside a shielded insulator and outside electrical fields inturupting the pulse to the ECM, but additional gounding wont effect the field pulse the CPS is sending to the ECM.

If the magnetic pickup on the fly wheel is aligned with the CPS your ohm meter will sense the wires as a loop. Crank the engine and check for voltage. I wouldn't check for ohms uless your wires got cooked.

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does your CPS look like this?

Attachments

• CPS discovery 1.doc
    9 KB · Views: 61

snydesh

Reaction score
Yes but it has an alluminum spacer. If I could post I would send you a pic, but I have not figured out how to do that.

snydesh

Reaction score
I checked for voltage from the crank sensor at the ECU plug while the motor was turning over and it didn't register anything. I did see a minus at one time but nothing else. Does that mean it isn't working?

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spacer is part of the ground. Alum, conducts electricity so just bolt the part up and it will conduct the grounding. Like I said if you are in doubt you can install a jumper wire from the bolt to the frame somewhere.

snydesh

Reaction score
I will run a ground jumper wire to be sure, but do you know if I should see voltage from the crank sensor when the motor is turning over?

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Regardless of the electrical system the CPS is just a mini generator, so it will create a current when the engine turns over. The CPS sends the current to the ECM to time the engine. It doesnt need the battery to create the small amount of voltage that the ECM needs to sense the position of the crank shaft.

crank the engine and see if you have voltage. The two prongs on the flywheel are magnets the post on the CPS is the pickup for the voltage.

turn it over and watch the meter

Last edited:

snydesh

Reaction score
I did, I got nothing, I will put a ground on today and try again.

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also after you hook up the ground. Try the voltage meter, making sure you are set in the correct setting. One way to make sure it is on the correct setting; (if your not sure) switch the dial around to see if your on the correct setting as your testing the CPS while cranking the engine. Remember its not much voltage that the CPS produces.

Mine worked without being connected to any electrical power. I cut the wires made my own plug for ease of access, and tested the CPS stand alone. I cant remember if I tested the wires together or if I grounded to the frame and tested each one separatly. Ether way it wont damage the CPS if you ground to the frame with the meter to test it. Its just completing a circuit.

If you don't get any voltage reading then ether the CPS is bad, sending wires or plug connection to the CPS is bad or very rare the flywheel prongs are damaged from some foreign object, but I highly doubt that.

snydesh

Reaction score
I don't know, I put a ground on and nothing changed. All wires are good, sensor is new, I just don't know???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV