I decided to keep my LR4 after all.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For tax purposes it would make sense for me to trade my depreciated LR4 for a new Discovery. After 4 test drives I accepted the fact that it was now a crossover, with car-like handling, lower seating, smaller windows, and very similar to the Audi wagons I drove for years. I was willing to accept all that.

The deal breaker for me was an AC issue posted by an early adopter in the Southwest. The 3-zone AC on our LR4s is fantastic. Everyone is comfortable, including the dog in the way-back. On the new Discovery with 3-zone AC, the second row vents in the center console are gone, the ceiling vents are gone. All you get is one small vent in each b-pillar. It gets worse - zero AC vents in the third row.

I guess LR expects you spend another $2250 for the 4-zone AC. But it's bundled with things I don't want like massage seats and a metallic windshield that will jam my radar detector. So I'd rather keep my LR4 and send more money to the IRS than spend $75K on a vehicle I don't love.

Another moment of clarity: A friend of mine just leased a new Durango R/T with the V8. We both know it will fall apart by 50K miles but for $48K, it's a pretty nice vehicle. At first glance I may even like the Durango better than the new Discovery.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to note, if the wheels fall off, it is most likely either the wheel bearings or the silly lug nuts with the cheap tin covers. ;)

Both fixable.

Heheh. FWIW, I'm also planning on keeping my 2013 LR4 "forever." I custom ordered it, I know the whole history, and knock on wood, it's been pretty good. I do 7.5k per year and next year that will go down to sub 5k miles per year, so I will have a nice, low-mile last (late) year V8 LR4 for a while.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think every vehicle I owned I said i was going to "keep forever" --- We'll see how if my mind changes after the new defender comes out...

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heheh. FWIW, I'm also planning on keeping my 2013 LR4 "forever." I custom ordered it, I know the whole history, and knock on wood, it's been pretty good. I do 7.5k per year and next year that will go down to sub 5k miles per year, so I will have a nice, low-mile last (late) year V8 LR4 for a while.

DITTO...

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to note, if the wheels fall off, it is most likely either the wheel bearings or the silly lug nuts with the cheap tin covers. ;)

Both fixable.

Paul, glad to hear you are keeping it.

OT: Since it came up, what are the best replacement options for the factory lug nuts?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice post, glad to hear you stayed!

As you may have seen from my earlier posts, I had a similar experience. I have been long waiting for the "LR5" to come out. For reasons I don't recall any more, I was never motivated to jump to the LR4 from the LR3. I think it just seemed like the same truck with gloss I didn't want, so I waited...

...after many hard looks at the new D5, I decided it wasn't for me. I looked hard at non LR vehicles, didn't find the features I wanted, smacked myself in the head for not considering a used LR4 and am currently the happy owner of a new-to-me 2013. So, I gave $40K to CarMax instead of $70K to LR for their new crossover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA