I have had a loaner D5 for a week Ask Me Anything (LR4 owner)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I second dngvt's comment, thanks for the review. Also it looks like the 2018's are starting to hit the dealers, I see LR Cincinnati show one "coming soon" on their website.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I second dngvt's comment, thanks for the review. Also it looks like the 2018's are starting to hit the dealers, I see LR Cincinnati show one "coming soon" on their website.
Interesting. I wonder what tweaks they'll squeeze in to that one.
I had the first LR3 (2005) and had buttons on it that were not even functional for phone controls and satellite radio. They didn't get all that figured out until the 2006 year.

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
Does it sound like a helicopter crashing when you start it? Not sure I have ever heard a noisier cold start than an LR4

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it sound like a helicopter crashing when you start it? Not sure I have ever heard a noisier cold start than an LR4
Really? My LR4 has a healthy roar which immediately drops to a quiet idle. A bit louder than my LR3 was. I love it. Nice to know there is an engine in there with some power behind it.

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 are identical, but the msrp is a bit higher for the SE (**i tihnk it comes with the bigger screen by default now** dont quote me) and there is an option for the digital dash like the Range Rovers get

Reaction score
The LR4 is base on LR3 chasis both have the same drivetrain and Suspension the diference between 3 and 4 is the power 4.4 , 5.0 and 3.0 Supercharger so at the end LR3 and 4 have similar road feeling but different 0 to 60 experience.The 5 is more city SUV and drive like a heavy Explorer with Lrover badge. I was at the deeler to upgrade to a 5 and is the first time i decline the offered .i have a 3 from 0 miles and at the time was the best of the Best i was so impress .Now the 5 is other SUV feel more light and less heavy Tank don't feel like the LR3 .i Park both and the LR3 look Masive and more Safari feeling the 5 look more innocent more refined and when you drive the 5 you feel was design for Women not for ******** off-road Man. At the end i feel the 3 and 4 was the end of the body on frame and the 5 is the next Generation for City Off road. If you have 3 and 4 and you want a 5 think in those the years when you cross a river o make heavy off Roading with jeeps and Land cruisers because the 5 don't bring that feeling of offloading supremacy.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Land Rover direction under McGovern feels like the convergence of Jaguar and Land Rover into a single product line. A CUV/SUV/Car direction is highlighted by the dealer saying "Land Rover is no longer that company".

Interestingly the recently revealed Ford strategy might make an end around of LR and disrupt McGovern's product strategy.

Ford Profit, Outlook Miss Estimates Amid Dramatic Transformation Plan

".....But the most surprising announcement of the day came from EVP and president of global markets Jim Farley who said that Ford is pivoting away from being a full-line automaker, and will shift to low volume, high margin cars, a substantial metamorphosis for America's premier auto brand.....

....To boost revenue, Farley said Ford would decrease its passenger-car models and develop more trucks and sport utility vehicles aiming at profitable niches such as rugged off-road models. In all, Ford expects cars to drop below one-third of its total sales mix....."

With loss of turning radius, stadium seating, split rear gates, stick shifter and overall move away from a truck design I am much more likely to consider a non-LR product in the future. That is after 20+ years of only buying LRs. Well, will probably just not buy any new stuff and continue to acquire older simpler trucks.

On the much improved NAV, who cares. Again, it will be obsolete in 2 years and be an unneeded "console" feature.

COangela

Reaction score
I have had a loaner D5 with 300 miles on it.

Here are my initial observations:

• Much bigger than I thought. For that matter than it looks while moving
  • Feels very heavy.
  • Drives like a ford explorer (older ones)
  • Turning radius is NOT good. I had to do a 3 point turn on a residential street.
  • More road noise than I expected. Maybe those 20" are the culprit.
  • Seats are better than LR4 - This really surprised me
  • Some controls are still set for right-hand drive (***). An example includes volume knob for the radio.
  • Navigation system - 10+ this is what the 16 LR4 should have had.
  • Kids have a really tough time climbing in.
  • Visibility is worse than LR4.
  • Rear Cargo area and the sitting platform is terrible. Space is adequate.
  • The back end is as hideous as we all think.
  • Looks grow on you a bit.
  • Too much plastic in strange places on interior
  • Door handles awkwardly placed in the interior. They are very low on the door panel IMO.
  • Feels like an extra 2" for rear passengers - nice
  • Glass tinting is much better than LR4
  • Headroom feels lower. This could be an illusion though.
  • Sun visors are much less effective in this interior. (Should I chalk this up to no sun days for testing in Britain?)
  • Air vents are less effective at lower speeds. They are further away from the driver.
  • LATCH system for car seats is easier to use, however, the weird panel to conceal them gets in the way of the seats.
Currently, I would NOT consider purchasing this vehicle.

I asked the LR dealer if I could take it on their offroad course. It is the molded up/down/tilt 45deg rock obstacle course that is about 200 feet long. They said "Unfortunately Land Rover is NOT that company anymore" "We haven't used the course in 10 months".
Thank you for this excellent feedback! I felt a lot of these things in just a mid length test drive. And you’ve nearly broken my heart with that last bit. Granted, I pretty much already knew it to be true. But breaking heart nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a loaner D5 with 300 miles on it.

Here are my initial observations:

• Much bigger than I thought. For that matter than it looks while moving
  • Feels very heavy. -isnt it 1000lbs lighter or something? 4900lbs vs 5600lbs
  • Drives like a ford explorer (older ones) - you must have a non air suspension one? Because this is the smoothest LR ive driven.
  • Turning radius is NOT good. I had to do a 3 point turn on a residential street. - turning radius is not much less than LR4, not sure what happened when you tried to turn.
  • More road noise than I expected. Maybe those 20" are the culprit. - maybe tires? The Disco First edition with 21" rims is extremelty quiet compared to LR4 and Disco Sport
  • Seats are better than LR4 - This really surprised me - indeed
  • Some controls are still set for right-hand drive (***). An example includes volume knob for the radio. - intentional, for passanger to reach and driver to keep hands on wheel and use the vol control there.
  • Navigation system - 10+ this is what the 16 LR4 should have had. - incontrol touch pro is good, but its not the best. but compared to lr4 yea not comparison
  • Kids have a really tough time climbing in. even in access mode which can be set with air suspension to lower when car is in park
  • Visibility is worse than LR4. - possible, but the 360camera and blind spot monitors and all the assist makes up for it
  • Rear Cargo area and the sitting platform is terrible. Space is adequate. - lol what? its a motorized flap that holds 300lbs?
  • The back end is as hideous as we all think. To each their own, i take a curved end over a fridge
  • Looks grow on you a bit.
  • Too much plastic in strange places on interior - hmm where?
  • Door handles awkwardly placed in the interior. They are very low on the door panel IMO. Disco 1, Disco 2, Lr3 / Lr4 all the same?
  • Feels like an extra 2" for rear passengers - nice
  • Glass tinting is much better than LR4
  • Headroom feels lower. This could be an illusion though. - def an illusion back seats are designed to fit a 6'3" person
  • Sun visors are much less effective in this interior. (Should I chalk this up to no sun days for testing in Britain?)
  • Air vents are less effective at lower speeds. They are further away from the driver. i feel like the vents are more like home ac dont expect the vents to blow air at you but it cools the cabin great
  • LATCH system for car seats is easier to use, however, the weird panel to conceal them gets in the way of the seats.
Currently, I would NOT consider purchasing this vehicle.

I asked the LR dealer if I could take it on their offroad course. It is the molded up/down/tilt 45deg rock obstacle course that is about 200 feet long. They said "Unfortunately Land Rover is NOT that company anymore" "We haven't used the course in 10 months".

COangela

Reaction score
The LR4 is base on LR3 chasis both have the same drivetrain and Suspension the diference between 3 and 4 is the power 4.4 , 5.0 and 3.0 Supercharger so at the end LR3 and 4 have similar road feeling but different 0 to 60 experience.The 5 is more city SUV and drive like a heavy Explorer with Lrover badge. I was at the deeler to upgrade to a 5 and is the first time i decline the offered .i have a 3 from 0 miles and at the time was the best of the Best i was so impress .Now the 5 is other SUV feel more light and less heavy Tank don't feel like the LR3 .i Park both and the LR3 look Masive and more Safari feeling the 5 look more innocent more refined and when you drive the 5 you feel was design for Women not for ******** off-road Man. At the end i feel the 3 and 4 was the end of the body on frame and the 5 is the next Generation for City Off road. If you have 3 and 4 and you want a 5 think in those the years when you cross a river o make heavy off Roading with jeeps and Land cruisers because the 5 don't bring that feeling of offloading supremacy.
And what about the ********* off-road woman? Definitely a no-go then? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick