I have had a loaner D5 for a week Ask Me Anything (LR4 owner)

Discussion in 'Discovery 5' started by machmike, Dec 23, 2017.

1. remember5

remember5 Active Member

Yes I second dngvt's comment, thanks for the review. Also it looks like the 2018's are starting to hit the dealers, I see LR Cincinnati show one "coming soon" on their website.

2. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

Interesting. I wonder what tweaks they'll squeeze in to that one.
    I had the first LR3 (2005) and had buttons on it that were not even functional for phone controls and satellite radio. They didn't get all that figured out until the 2006 year.

3. Ric in Richmond

Ric in Richmond Member

Does it sound like a helicopter crashing when you start it? Not sure I have ever heard a noisier cold start than an LR4

4. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

Really? My LR4 has a healthy roar which immediately drops to a quiet idle. A bit louder than my LR3 was. I love it. Nice to know there is an engine in there with some power behind it.

5. Agarabaghi

Agarabaghi Full Access Member

2018 are identical, but the msrp is a bit higher for the SE (**i tihnk it comes with the bigger screen by default now** dont quote me) and there is an option for the digital dash like the Range Rovers get

6. Ganbala Brabus

Ganbala Brabus Member

The LR4 is base on LR3 chasis both have the same drivetrain and Suspension the diference between 3 and 4 is the power 4.4 , 5.0 and 3.0 Supercharger so at the end LR3 and 4 have similar road feeling but different 0 to 60 experience.The 5 is more city SUV and drive like a heavy Explorer with Lrover badge. I was at the deeler to upgrade to a 5 and is the first time i decline the offered .i have a 3 from 0 miles and at the time was the best of the Best i was so impress .Now the 5 is other SUV feel more light and less heavy Tank don't feel like the LR3 .i Park both and the LR3 look Masive and more Safari feeling the 5 look more innocent more refined and when you drive the 5 you feel was design for Women not for Hardcore off-road Man. At the end i feel the 3 and 4 was the end of the body on frame and the 5 is the next Generation for City Off road. If you have 3 and 4 and you want a 5 think in those the years when you cross a river o make heavy off Roading with jeeps and Land cruisers because the 5 don't bring that feeling of offloading supremacy.

7. mpinco

mpinco Full Access Member

The Land Rover direction under McGovern feels like the convergence of Jaguar and Land Rover into a single product line. A CUV/SUV/Car direction is highlighted by the dealer saying "Land Rover is no longer that company".

Interestingly the recently revealed Ford strategy might make an end around of LR and disrupt McGovern's product strategy.

Ford Profit, Outlook Miss Estimates Amid Dramatic Transformation Plan

".....But the most surprising announcement of the day came from EVP and president of global markets Jim Farley who said that Ford is pivoting away from being a full-line automaker, and will shift to low volume, high margin cars, a substantial metamorphosis for America's premier auto brand.....

....To boost revenue, Farley said Ford would decrease its passenger-car models and develop more trucks and sport utility vehicles aiming at profitable niches such as rugged off-road models. In all, Ford expects cars to drop below one-third of its total sales mix....."

With loss of turning radius, stadium seating, split rear gates, stick shifter and overall move away from a truck design I am much more likely to consider a non-LR product in the future. That is after 20+ years of only buying LRs. Well, will probably just not buy any new stuff and continue to acquire older simpler trucks.

On the much improved NAV, who cares. Again, it will be obsolete in 2 years and be an unneeded "console" feature.