Idle Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V

vandermeulen

First off, thank all of you who responded to my last thread and helping out on my first Land Rover purchase. I bought the 96' Disco with approx. 80k miles. It's in great shape as far as I can tell. However, it seems to idle a little high. Sometimes from starting cold it will idle at 1500 rpm then after a while drop to about 1000 rpm. Sometimes from cold it will idle at approx. 800 rpm. It will also waiver a little between 800 - 1000 rpm after it's warmed up. The check engine light came on after the first day I had it. Took it back to the dealer and the code came up as catalytic converter - it seems they had replaced it recently and missed a spot when welding it in to place- therefore it's leaking and causing the engine to idle sporadically. They are going to fix the weld tomorrow. Does this sound correct to you guys? Could it be O2 sensors?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, Check Engine Light would be from the thrown code.

Idle issue sounds like the stepper motor, a/k/a IAC. Update us after the weld is repaired if the idle's still bad.

Andy

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thomas... I do not think that your 02 sensors are going to cause a high idle. Is the tach bouncing? Did you have them check the altern. before you bought the LR? I had the same issues with my D1 on the cats though ( I replaced the left and right cats after I blew them out on the trails) , had to return to the muffler shop and then all was well. CEL is on due to the bad cats ..I do not believe that there is a correlation between the high idle and the CEL. I have been known to be wrong though.
Melissa

D

discomike

Thomas,
I agree with Moose, look at the steeper motor first, than check the vaccumn lines especially the one on the left bank valve cover breather, it will get oil soaked and develop a hole and leak badily. Next check your spark plugs and especially the wires.
At 80,000 miles it is real safe to say the plug wires are crap.
Go to a good gas additive and induction cleaner like B&G or Sea Foam and clean out the system.
Some where in this process you will find and correct the problem, then go out and play hard.
Mike J.

V

vandermeulen

Well, I got the pipe welded so it doesn't leak anymore. The Idle is still a little high, but not as bad as before. Now it's around 1000rpm and will still sometimes waiver between 700 and 1000. I have more power now that the pipe to the cat isn't leaking, but I still want to fine tune it a little more. I bought an OBDII reader yesterday (thought it might come in handy with the Rover). $174 Canadian and it clears codes as well. The code for the cat converter is gone but now I'm getting a P0150 (O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction - Bank 2 Sensor 1). The CEL isn't on yet - does anybody think this might be a source of idle problems and should I just replace the O2 sensors (in pairs - right?). I'm going on a trip across Canada in less than 2 weeks and I don't want any problems in the middle of the North where parts are scarce.

D

discomike

Thomas,
It is doubful that the O2's would give you a high idle, and that being said, with 80,000 miles on the truck you would regain alot of power if you replaced both the O2's. They have enough wear on them to not throw a code and not give you the full range of your trucks power.
Before you take your trip do a couple of things. Buy a good can , quart, of engine flush and flush your engine. Get a couple of cans of good gas additive the Sea Foam or B&G's 44K and their induction cleaner. Put them in before your trip and watch your engine get happier quickly. The other thought would be plug wires, at your mileage your are toast if you haven't changed them. If you change them use a set of 8mm. Magnecor wires, another hugh difference for the truck.
Good luck and have a good trip.
Mike J.

V

vandermeulen

Thanks, I will try the wires and the flush etc....let ya know how it goes! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA