ignition timing mark for serious 3 lightweight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

fletch

hi there new to this site but not to Land Rovers
can someone please tell me what to set the timing at on my 1984 serious 3 lightweight.
i am running it on un-leaded with a lead replacment added as i have not had it converted to un-leaded do i set the timing at 6' BTDC or 6' ATDC or do i go for TDC and hope it does no damige
thanks fletch

A

antichrist

Set it to the appropriate timming for the octane you're running. Don't worry about it being unleaded, whatever you do it's going to wear the valve seats. Check your valve clearances more often and keep them adjusted to spec. If you loose compression due to valve wear (verified by putting some oil in the low comp cyl and having no change in the compression reading), or they have receeded alot, then get a valve job done and have hardened seats and proper guides and valves put in.
Many people feel they have to convert the head soon as they switch to unleaded. That's a myth AFAIK.

Tom Rowe
Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in
places even more inaccessible.

F

fletch

thanks for that, if i am reading you right what you are saying is that i will get away with running on unleaded for quite awhile without changing the head, just keep an eye on the compresion and valves. I have been told by others that you can run your landy under "normal" conditions quite happily without damidge on unleaded just wish i new someone who was doing it.

fletch

wally.aussie

Reaction score
timeing

gday, i run my series 2 on mostly unleaded and have no problems in the last 3 years. timeing is set at tdc and i run a weber carby and extractors on it. runs like a scalded cat. hope that helps

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi