IIDTool and Keyfob Programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
The story behind this is long and complicated, so I'm simplifying it to keep my question concise.

I had an LR3, I totaled it, and now have an old useless keyfob.

I bought a new (used) LR3, and only have one key.

I'd like to reprogram the old useless fob to serve as a spare for my new LR3. Can the IIDTool reprogram the old (totaled) LR3 fob to pair with the new LR3?

I realize that I would also have to get a key blank and find a smith who can cut it, rip apart the old fob and move the guts and the newly cut blank to a new shell, etc.

I don't own an IIDTool yet, but I've been wanting one. Since a new key from the dealer costs so much anyway, I figure I could just redirect that cost ($300-400) toward an IIDTool instead and reuse the old fob, if possible.

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 FOB cannot be reprogrammed. Only 2010+ FOB can be recycled. Ya it sucks...

maxx4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes like sam above said...lr3 fob's can't be reprogrammed...once and done and the kicker is that the cheap amazon / ebay ones may or may not work when reprogrammed as well. I'm in your same boat I have one key fob and tried a few things with used ones, ebay clones, etc and have wasted as much as just buying a new one at this point.

I hear some have gotten the cheap ones to work (sometimes forever and sometimes for just a few months)...seems very hit or miss. Personally I would get a factory fob and then have some indy shop reprogramme it - probably the cheapest way to get a key that'll actually work when you need it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA