Increase mileage on LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow makes a cat-back exhaust system for the LR3. It costs $1200, sounds great, power gains and fuel economy gains would most likely be minimal.

You want mileage get a diesel LR3 imported from europe. Or buy a Volkswagen TDI. At least you dont have to be embarrassed driving it around.

ygrowup

Reaction score
I am ordering a K&N filter for the LR3. Picking up the truck today :biggrin: I had put one in my old 97 Discovery and it made a big diference in gas milage.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am ordering a K&N filter for the LR3. Picking up the truck today :biggrin: I had put one in my old 97 Discovery and it made a big diference in gas milage.

Damn, this thread was getting better on page two....

Yrow, please do some research before you toss that filter in there, maybe talk with a tech or someone at Atlantic British. I have heard long debates over whether or not it allows too much dust in or something like that - not in cities, but if you go out in the desert, etc but still ask around.

Your engine running well with as few issues as possible is worth considerably more than some .05 mpg gain a silly filter would provide, even if it could do that. The other engine you had is not designed the same way nor is it's air intake science. Your best plan is very likely new oem filters.

The ONLY thing that's going to make big differences in mpg on an lr3 are it's resistance to air mass, i.e. driving slower and/or having a nice stiff 30 mph tail wind vs the same as a head wind.

My mom returns 16 mpg all the time in the 96 discovery...she barely drives the speed limit, hardly uses the brakes, accelerates sloooowly, and hasd nothing on the roof and no back seats.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N and the LR3 do not mix. alot of guys have had problems with them in the LR3.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with James. The oil on the K&N can foul your MAF, and the free flowing filter material allows more dust and contaminates to get through into your engine. Both are bad. If you live in mud and snow, maybe its good, but here in the dusty southwest, its not a great idea. In my opinion of course.

ygrowup

Reaction score
Thanks for the K&N info. I am going to have to look into this further. The increase in air flow here in Canada is not a problem with dust as we do not have a lot of deserts. This increase in air did give my Discovery a lot more milage.
I do have an EFI system on my Aprilia motorcycle and it does not have any problems with its K&N.
K&N claims to be more efficient dirty than a clean paper filter.

P.S. I got the truck yesterday and love it. My wife was not to impressed when she tried to put it in the garage however....

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck i like the red colour! As you can see by the way I spelled colour i'm from canada too!

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the K&N info. I am going to have to look into this further. The increase in air flow here in Canada is not a problem with dust as we do not have a lot of deserts. This increase in air did give my Discovery a lot more milage.
I do have an EFI system on my Aprilia motorcycle and it does not have any problems with its K&N.
K&N claims to be more efficient dirty than a clean paper filter.

P.S. I got the truck yesterday and love it. My wife was not to impressed when she tried to put it in the garage however....

All air filters are more efficient dirty. They let a hell of a lot less THROUGH!!!!!!

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do realize that dust is not limited to deserts right?

Then again that statement allows me to understand why you would think that an air filter makes a large difference (or any) in fuel consumption.

The reality here is that changing your air filter will not do anything you are going to notice. Well, it will make your wallet a bit lighter.

On a side note, K&N's on Miatas were always a no-no as the additional oil they threw into the intake tended to clog up a couple of smaller holes that eventually made the car throw a CEL. I fixed that problem twice on my mothers K&N before reverting back to the stock filter.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be hard to believe, but I didn't buy the car for its mileage and when I found it getting 19.2 MPG on the highway and 16 MPG around town, I was pleased. Then I put big tires on and lifted it, Killing the good mileage. Went to about 13 MPG (ODO mileage adjusted for tire size) around town.

I did find that it uses the most fuel in low range, on the trail, I think it got almost 9 MPG on my last trip. AND I still had a smile on my face at the time!

BJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA