Infotainment problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jovbmw

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2010 lr4 and the infotainment had been acting up, Radio stations switching on its own, Bluetooth dialing by itself, voice command turning on its own, volume decreases and increases, this will happen after an hour of driving, I am wondering if this was encountered or had been discussed. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all of those things can be done from the steering wheel inputs correct? Maybe something with the wheel? Clock spring or the buttons?

Jovbmw

Reaction score
That could be a possibility, but then steering button for the volume, and voice command are separate but to have both acting up at the same time is odd. I will try to spray it with contact cleaner and see if it will eliminate the problem. Is there a way to do a hard reset for the infotainment? Am I missing a software upgrade to have this problem eliminated?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems more like spurious input, rather than software. Im not sure you can diagnose it without taking things apart.

You could just disconnect the steering wheel controls and see if that works. (not the airbag please, careful around that stuff).

Here is the service manual bits for how to get into that stuff. Don't dig into it though unless you have torn this type of thing apart before. Don't want to have you disable your vehicle by mistake. Dealer would be the way to go if you don't think you can DIY.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4TYb3KrPldqUmFYRGtYbV91Qm8/view?usp=sharing

edit: looking at that a little closer you may be able to disconnect those switches on the column side, before the clockspring. """9. Disconnect the 2 electrical connectors from the steering column multifunction switches."""

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting... Some of the steering wheel buttons on my '13 have been acting up lately, but only after pressing them. Like you, it only happens after I've been driving for over an hour or so. When pressing the volume up/down buttons, it skips multiple levels. Same skipping issue occurs when pressing the seek up/down buttons to change songs/stations. It's kind of annoying, especially when taking long road trips. My cruise control & phone/voice command buttons seem to be okay, though.

I'm curious to hear others' input.

Jovbmw

Reaction score
I will attempt to remove the upper and lower shroud to access the 2 connectors for the steering controls. Hopefully I don't have to take out the steering wheel to do this, how I wish I can just remove a fuse or a relay associated to the controls.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will attempt to remove the upper and lower shroud to access the 2 connectors for the steering controls. Hopefully I don't have to take out the steering wheel to do this, how I wish I can just remove a fuse or a relay associated to the controls.

You could try disconnecting, then reconnecting the battery. When I disconnected my battery during my install of a dashcam it seemed to reset some things inside the vehicle.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try disconnecting, then reconnecting the battery. When I disconnected my battery during my install of a dashcam it seemed to reset some things inside the vehicle.

That is true, if you leave it for awhile it can reset various ECU's but I don't think the module for those controls has any sort of brain to it.. worth a try though.

Jovbmw

Reaction score
I disconnected the battery and it did not solveld the issue, I have also the voice command going off sporadically now, does the steering funations have a dedicated ecu? Or it could only be more of a clock spring issue?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the diagram for the two modules. Photobucket limits quality, so sorry they are fuzzy.

Shot%202017-01-04%20at%2012.40.39%20PM_zpsal8u0ajl.png

Shot%202017-01-04%20at%2012.40.29%20PM_zpshq8dwoi8.png

Those modules have several connections throught the clock spring, so the module is on the wheel obviously and then goes through the clockspring and then also has connectors on the other side on the column itself.

It has LIN bus connections to the BCM body control module. These graphics may not exactly match, it shows the paddle shifters and heated steering wheel module also.. if you have that. But those all end up going through the clock spring connection.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi