Installed 275-55-20 tires on 20x9.5 +32 wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTBike

Reaction score
I just picked up my LR4 from the dealer Thursday, and put on my new wheels and tires on Friday. I spent over a month reading through threads on this site and others, with no conclusive reviews on sizing. Regardless, I took the plunge and ordered what I wanted. I couldn't be happier with my results. Here's what I ended up with:

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in 275-55-20. These are just shy of 32" overall diameter. It's like 31.75" or something. In other threads, there have only been speculations or "I heard this would work". In short - they do work, with minor rubbing. Now - this could be due to the offset of my wheels (+32), but the fact is - the rubbing point is minor at full lock, and the rubbing is happening on the outer edge of the tire, against a metal frame point in the wheel well. My assertion is that a small groove will be marked into the tire over 500-1k miles, and the rubbing will be gone. This rubbing is in "normal" height. It's less in extended height, but still rubs. If I installed the Johnson Rods or similar, it would be gone - i'm sure. But honestly, I don't think I need to, and don't plan to.

This tire has a 117T load rating, at 2833lbs per tire. Well above what came stock. The ride quality is outstanding, and ride noise is only minimally more than stock. The look is head over heels better than stock, in my opinion.

The wheels I went with are the Redbourne Dominius in satin black. Redbourne advertises their wheels as LandRover specific. The weight rating is 2300 lbs per wheel, and they specify use of LandRover OEM lugnuts (got a set of black ones off Amazon). The wheels have a +32 offset, which was the sticking point for me, and took lots of debate. I knew this would have them towards the outside of the wheel well quite a bit. But again, it worked perfectly, even with the 275mm tires. I took a bunch of pics attached, which show from the front and back - the tires actually sit perfectly flush with the fender, and don't stick out. Now, if I had my ideal - would they be in another .5 to 1"? Yes. But that just wasn't possible with the wheels I wanted. My point here is that a +32 offset wheel works just fine with the LR4, and allows you to mount quite wide tires that will sit flush with your fenders.

The other nice thing about the wheel/tire combo is that with a 275 tire and 9.5" wheel, the tire bulges just slightly - giving me just enough rim protection that I won't **** them if I brush a curb. Very happy with this.

Overall, I think the look is perfect. I've gotten more compliments than I can count, and only had the vehicle for 4 days. In my opinion, any LR4 owner looking to upsize would be foolish not to consider this combo. The only downside is the minor rubbing.. But again, I think that's pretty easy to live with, and I do believe it will be short lived

Regarding the TPMS - I wanted OEM sensors (cause I heard there could be pairing problems) but balked at my dealership wanting $130 per sensor. I checked on Ebay, and there are a number of sellers from the UK selling OEM brand new (in marked bag) sensors for 130 GBP for ALL 4!!!! I snapped up a set. Total + shipping was $150 USD. I literally didn't even have to do anything with the vehicle. I just put the new wheels on (with the sensors installed..!) and it picked them up right away as if nothing changed. PLEASE check these sellers out if you go to buy new TPMS. I also had them in like 5 days from order date. Note that the 2016 LR4 takes the 433mhz sensor, which is different from earlier models that take a sensor in the 300mhz range.

Last note - I'm selling my stock Landmark 20" wheels/tires/TPMS. 40 miles on them, so basically brand new. Will make someone a good deal. Located in Portland, OR. PM if interested.

Let me know what you all think!

Edit - unfortunately, no matter what I do, the images are displaying the wrong direction. No idea how to fix - any help?

Attachments

• LR4 Side2.jpg
    LR4 Side2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 510
  • LR4 TireFront.jpg
    LR4 TireFront.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 456
  • LR4 Tire.jpg
    LR4 Tire.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 456
  • LR4 Rear 1.jpg
    LR4 Rear 1.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 427
  • LR4 Front.jpg
    LR4 Front.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Crazedtexn

Reaction score
Looks great, helpful write up. Thanks.

Who did the work to replace the stock running boards? I'm not a guy that modifies my vehicles a ton, well, never really, but all terrain tires and some decent rock sliders make a huge difference.

VTBike

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments!

I replaced the running boards myself. It's super easy. There's actually write up with pics here on this guys blog:
http://michael1111.blogspot.com/sea...0-07:00&max-results=20&start=48&by-date=false

It really only took me 30 min for the first side, and then 20 for the second, and you only need a couple tools. Putting the new rock sliders on wasn't as easy though. I had to entirely remove the trim piece at the bottom of the door because the rock slider actually covers it completely. Taking out the little snap tabs from the frame was a major pain in the butt. But once that was done, they went on super simply. It was all actually very straightforward.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments!

I replaced the running boards myself. It's super easy. There's actually write up with pics here on this guys blog:
http://michael1111.blogspot.com/sea...0-07:00&max-results=20&start=48&by-date=false

It really only took me 30 min for the first side, and then 20 for the second, and you only need a couple tools. Putting the new rock sliders on wasn't as easy though. I had to entirely remove the trim piece at the bottom of the door because the rock slider actually covers it completely. Taking out the little snap tabs from the frame was a major pain in the butt. But once that was done, they went on super simply. It was all actually very straightforward.

Do your Rovers North rock sliders do anything to either move or protect the compressor?

Stealther

Reaction score
Great write up and love the look! When I was visiting family in San Antonio I stopped into the LR Dealership and the service manager told me they put those very same tires on the factory 20s with no problems and their customers (mainly ranchers) loved them.

I'm considering replacing the tires that came with my CPO MY13 (Hankook) with these so that I have a overall more capable tire on all the time in addition to buying a set of 18s wearing some BFG TKO2s for special trips.

I'll have to check the weight on these as I'm trying to keep my everyday tire/wheel combo as light as possible. For special trips I'll eat the MPG loss of running LT tires.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check the weight on these as I'm trying to keep my everyday tire/wheel combo as light as possible. For special trips I'll eat the MPG loss of running LT tires.

This is just my opinion, but if you are going through all the trouble to get 18" wheels, you certainly want to get E-rated tires and not just LT's.

Stealther

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but if you are going through all the trouble to get 18" wheels, you certainly want to get E-rated tires and not just LT's.

Sry, I didn't clarify, but yes you're right - I'm getting some BFG TKO2's

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those Terra Grappler G2's to replace my worn out Zeons. Looks like there is less open space between the lugs on the G2's, so maybe they won't dig in sand as bad as the Zeons do when they are new.

Not sure if I should go 265-50-20 or 285-50-20. Wider tires may float better in sand but will they be more prone to coming off the wheel when aired down to 20 psi?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72