Installed 275-55-20 tires on 20x9.5 +32 wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those Terra Grappler G2's to replace my worn out Zeons. Looks like there is less open space between the lugs on the G2's, so maybe they won't dig in sand as bad as the Zeons do when they are new.

Not sure if I should go 265-50-20 or 285-50-20. Wider tires may float better in sand but will they be more prone to coming off the wheel when aired down to 20 psi?

I am your resident sand expert here in the desert. You need to first identify what surface you are most frequently driving on. Sand and Mud patterns are pretty much exact opposite, so if you are good in one you are typically bad in the other. Mud, you need wide blocks to eject packed mud out of the treads. These tires dig for traction, as designed. Sand tires are all about float and digging is the last thing you want. More surface area, the better. With that said, you want as much surface area as possible so the wider 285s are going to be your best option.

In regards to airing down, 20 psi is really conservative. I typically run 16-18 myself and I know others running down 12-15 (typically on lighter trucks). If you had beadlocks you can go down further! The whole issue with rolling the tire off the rim is 95% down to driver error. You simply can't take corners at speed! It's all about learning new driving habits for the sand. I can't stress this enough. There are a lot of YouTube videos out there to get you started with some great information.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really happy with the 265-50/20 G2's.
Here in Florida we have mud in North and South Florida and in Central Florida we have Sand Pine Forests.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
I'm going to replace my old tires for the Nitto Grapplers G2 and using the same wheels. Do I need to get new TPMS?

Thanks in advance!

George.

VTBike

Reaction score
Thanks for fixing the pics and comments Stealther! Much appreciated. They were taking in normal height. No lift or anything. On the tires - I'd be curious if rubbing were eliminated if I were using a stock offset, rather than +32... From the looks of things, I don't think it would be eliminated completely, but it may work perfectly.

I hear you on the weight - they aren't light. Though - the stock setup wasn't light either. I should have weighed them all when I had them off..! I just did a trip out to the coast - about 110 miles each way. Quite a few hills, and all 2 lane roads.. Mostly 45-55 mph. Average was right around 16 - like 16.3 or something. I was hoping it would have been a bit higher.. but I'm not foooling myself - i mean, what is really possible? It seems like at best its a couple MPG, or am I wrong?

Ryanjl: Nope, they only go under the door sills. It's pretty much the same coverage as stock; though these are technically functional for more than just your feet. Roversnorth had posted a video of them bashing the trucks around on rocks with great results, but I can't seem to find where that was. My guess is for true protection, you'd want to get some additional under body plating. At $800 for the set though, the price was right for what I wanted.

Paxton407

Reaction score
I just picked up my LR4 from the dealer Thursday, and put on my new wheels and tires on Friday. I spent over a month reading through threads on this site and others, with no conclusive reviews on sizing. Regardless, I took the plunge and ordered what I wanted. I couldn't be happier with my results. Here's what I ended up with:

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in 275-55-20. These are just shy of 32" overall diameter. It's like 31.75" or something. In other threads, there have only been speculations or "I heard this would work". In short - they do work, with minor rubbing. Now - this could be due to the offset of my wheels (+32), but the fact is - the rubbing point is minor at full lock, and the rubbing is happening on the outer edge of the tire, against a metal frame point in the wheel well. My assertion is that a small groove will be marked into the tire over 500-1k miles, and the rubbing will be gone. This rubbing is in "normal" height. It's less in extended height, but still rubs. If I installed the Johnson Rods or similar, it would be gone - i'm sure. But honestly, I don't think I need to, and don't plan to.

This tire has a 117T load rating, at 2833lbs per tire. Well above what came stock. The ride quality is outstanding, and ride noise is only minimally more than stock. The look is head over heels better than stock, in my opinion.

The wheels I went with are the Redbourne Dominius in satin black. Redbourne advertises their wheels as LandRover specific. The weight rating is 2300 lbs per wheel, and they specify use of LandRover OEM lugnuts (got a set of black ones off Amazon). The wheels have a +32 offset, which was the sticking point for me, and took lots of debate. I knew this would have them towards the outside of the wheel well quite a bit. But again, it worked perfectly, even with the 275mm tires. I took a bunch of pics attached, which show from the front and back - the tires actually sit perfectly flush with the fender, and don't stick out. Now, if I had my ideal - would they be in another .5 to 1"? Yes. But that just wasn't possible with the wheels I wanted. My point here is that a +32 offset wheel works just fine with the LR4, and allows you to mount quite wide tires that will sit flush with your fenders.

The other nice thing about the wheel/tire combo is that with a 275 tire and 9.5" wheel, the tire bulges just slightly - giving me just enough rim protection that I won't **** them if I brush a curb. Very happy with this.

Overall, I think the look is perfect. I've gotten more compliments than I can count, and only had the vehicle for 4 days. In my opinion, any LR4 owner looking to upsize would be foolish not to consider this combo. The only downside is the minor rubbing.. But again, I think that's pretty easy to live with, and I do believe it will be short lived

Regarding the TPMS - I wanted OEM sensors (cause I heard there could be pairing problems) but balked at my dealership wanting $130 per sensor. I checked on Ebay, and there are a number of sellers from the UK selling OEM brand new (in marked bag) sensors for 130 GBP for ALL 4!!!! I snapped up a set. Total + shipping was $150 USD. I literally didn't even have to do anything with the vehicle. I just put the new wheels on (with the sensors installed..!) and it picked them up right away as if nothing changed. PLEASE check these sellers out if you go to buy new TPMS. I also had them in like 5 days from order date. Note that the 2016 LR4 takes the 433mhz sensor, which is different from earlier models that take a sensor in the 300mhz range.

Last note - I'm selling my stock Landmark 20" wheels/tires/TPMS. 40 miles on them, so basically brand new. Will make someone a good deal. Located in Portland, OR. PM if interested.

Let me know what you all think!

Edit - unfortunately, no matter what I do, the images are displaying the wrong direction. No idea how to fix - any help?

I am thinking of going with the same tire at 275/55/20 using OEM wheels (the black design pkg 20" wheels which come with the 2016 HSE Silver). I believe my wheels are 8.5" wide and have not yet been able to conclusively dig up the offset online. May go measure it myself if I can't find it listed somewhere.

In your opinion, do you think my OEM wheels would work better/worse than your 9.5" wide Redbourne wheels with respect to rubbing? Is wheel width playing into the rubbing problem? or is it more a result of the height of the tire?

VTBike

Reaction score
Paxton - I actually did get the IID late last week. I lifted it 1" all around, and still rubbing - though less. Just for the hell of it, I put into extended lift mode, which lifted it another 3" (so now at 4" total from stock), and it just barely rubbed..

So my guess is that it's just a combination of offset and overall diameter. I should take a pic of where its rubbing, as that would help clarify. It's really just on the front edge of each tire when it's at a hard lock. But honestly, its hard for me to say what the increased offset and a 1" narrower rim might do. From other accounts, it seems like it would potentially eliminate it. It seems probable that at full lock, if it was only rubbing on the edge - that if the tire were another .5" inward, it actually wouldn't be rubbing. But to answer your last question, I think its more overall diameter and less width.

Kj71109

Reaction score
VTBike,

Just checking in to see if you like this set up still? I'm thinking of purchasing the wilks version of redbourne wheels with the same size and offset. I sent you a PM, but figured I'd post here too. Would you order the same size tires again or change to a different size? Like a 265/50 or 285/50? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV