instrument pack going "dark"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdf6hr

Reaction score
I am the sometimes proud owner of an '08 LR3 SE that has started an alarming habit. The instrument cluster or pack will just "go dark" randomly. No speedo., no tach., fuel goes to empty, engine temp. registers cold. All other systems A-OK.

After a few moments (up to a minute or so), everything returns to normal. This has always occured while in motion. The cluster will light appropriately upon starting and be fine on the first mile or so of driving. After I leave the neighborhood however, all bets are off.

Does this sound familar to anyone? If so, was there an easy fix? Was there a not so easy fix? I am hoping it is simple fuse or connection problem.

Thank you for any responses.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check your alternator. A bad/failing diode can cause all kinds of crazy things to happen and your LR3 is right at the age where many alternators begin to fail. My 2008 failed several months ago and I know of at least two other 08's that failed recently around here that created strange electrical gremlins. It's worth checking out just to be sure.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like either that or bad connections on the battery. Had a similar gremlin in one of my Jeeps and I think it was the battery cables.

Marcello Hart

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my '05 lr3 SE. all connections and alternator check out fine. i am wondering if it is an issue with the main plug behind the cluster.

I will apologize for a post i recent just wrote about this same issue. I did not see this during my search

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV