Is buying an LR4 w/ 66k miles madness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip White

Reaction score
Hello there. My wife and I are considering buying a used 2010 LR4. We've been waiting a long time to find the right color combo (white ext/black int) w/ HSE trim and as we're in Kansas, this combo doesn't come up often (see: never).

But we're concerned about long term reliability. Is buying this car with 66K miles on the clock risky, as it's not a Land Rover certified vehicle?

What do you say, expert forum users/LR4 owners?

Thanks in advance.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it unless prepared to possibly spend a lot of money on repairs/maintenance...the same way I'd be hesitant to buy any luxury car/truck out of warranty and with high mileage

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not buy it unless it was a certified pre-owned or you could get a very good aftermarket warranty.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say it depends. Are you buying it with 66kmiles and planning on putting 15k more per year? If so, in less than 3 years you are at over 100k.

The engine appears to be VERY reliable. Some of the optional equipment (like cameras) appears to suck. As with any car you are planning on keeping well past 100k miles, knowing the history is key, as is being committed to maintaining it. At near 100k miles, that stops being just about oil changes and starts to include more expensive fluid changes, suspension and drivetrain parts, etc. On fancy cars, that gets pricey.

Considering LR4's have now been out for 4 years, I am honestly surprised as to how few real issues are reported here. No catastrophic transmission or engine failures, chronic pump failures, etc. The occasional suspension issue, yes, but nothing terrible.

But be honest with yourself (especially if you are not handy): Are you comfortable the operating/maintenance costs?

To get the car or not is question that only you can answer based on your financial position, mechanical abilities, tolerance of problems, etc.

I bought a 6yo Porsche with more miles than that. But I will drive it 3k miles per year, got it for a great deal, had the full history, and it's supposed to be very reliable. If I get a $3k bill in 2 years it will suck, but I knew what I was getting into - like paying $1500 at an independent mechanic for spark plugs and an oil change - which I did this spring (spark plugs are impossible to get to so I left that to a pro this time).

Philip White

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. I think we'll listen to your advice and wait for a certified used LR4 w/ lower mileage. Though in the wilds of the Midwest, where there are so few LR dealerships, it might be a test of patience. I guess that beats thousands of $ in repairs...

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy it in New England and drive it home. There are plenty of LR4s around here

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true. There are so many LR4's in my town, but so far we have the only red one.

Philip, you can buy a CPO LR4 anywhere and your local dealer will need to honor the warranty. If you don't want to drive it home, ship it. The cost to ship a car is not that expensive anymore.

I think having a dealer warranty on a used LR4 is the way to go.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2010 LR4 HSE (same color combo) with 41k miles as a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle from a local LR dealership. I'm now at 53k miles with no complaints. No problems so far, but it is nice knowing that I have the CPO warranty just in case anything comes up.

Good luck!

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the others probably know this better than I, but 75,000 miles seems to be the tipping point. At that stage, you are replacing some very hard to reach timing belts and what not. Good call on finding something with lower mileage unless you have a good, affordable mechanic nearby.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote:
Not sure if you have seen this forum:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/category/4-carrera-996-maintenance/

If you have a 996, is not that hard to do spark plug changes, it just looks hard. If I can do it with my banana fingers anyone can. I have had couple of them that I used to race and track and had an accelerated schedule. They are put together like Mr. Potato Head. Let me know if I can help you with those, I wrote some of the DIY at RennTech as well. Send me a PM anytime, I still have the Porsche factory manuals.

I do need a lot of help with LR4's!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi