Is it ok to start towing with 100,000 miles on the engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dr damon

Reaction score
Hello. Our 2012 LR4 has about 100k miles on it, and we are considering purchasing an Air Stream trailer. Is it ok to start hauling the trailer with so many miles on our vehicle? (the trailer is below the max towing capacity) I would hate for us to get stuck in the middle of nowhere due to an engine/ drivetrain problem. Thanks!

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow airstream owner.

Started towing with my LR3 at about 100k. Have 114k now but only about 3k towed miles.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of mileage sitting could happen. You could get an comprehensive assessment to be sure everything is as it should be.

Be sure to read up first on the various opinions and experiences with using or not using weight distribution and other hitching options.

I towed a tandem utility trailer NC - WA loaded to just over max trailer rating and it was slower on long steep grades during high humidity high temp days but was otherwise a great trip.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice from @jwest; it's not just about the mileage. And the differing opinions on hitch systems will rival any discussion on tires or motor oil.

You should consider all of the various wear items and known issues that affect all of our trucks regardless of whether we tow or not. Those include but are not limited to: water pump, lower control arms, electronic air suspension, timing chains, tires, batteries. Lots of people here have LR3/4's that are running like tops at 100K+ miles, but that is a mileage range where special scrutiny is advised.

@dr damon and @LR4USN, what size Airstreams are you towing? When I was researching Airstreams I found that a 25-footer would probably be at the upper weight limit of what the LR4 could safely handle. And even that would be a lot of trailer to manage. I figured that a 23' Flying Cloud, a 22' Sport, or a 16' Basecamp would be just right...I'm still loving the idea of the Basecamp behind an LR4; such a beautiful sight.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100K miles is not the issue. Previous maintenance is. Towing adds stress to the tow vehicle and will expose poor or needed maintenance.

@cperez - LOL on the hitch discussions rivaling tires and oil.

Personally I think towing requires a minimum of load range E tires or at least extra load tires.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello

Pulling 25 Eddie Bauer and using Equalizer 10000 WD hitch

Agree struggle as I drove smoky mountains but other wise pulled great.

Actually looking to buy F150 3.5 EB w/max tow.

LR3 might be up for sale very soon. Have to give it up but plan heading west this early summer.

5ff425c2e0dc807dbcf750703cc67ba4.jpg

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 might be up for sale very soon. Have to give it up but plan heading west this early summer.

5ff425c2e0dc807dbcf750703cc67ba4.jpg

What a beeautiful sight :)

Really, LR4USN?! Ur gonna replace that pretty red thing (future Defender on its own) with a 150? :)

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, manoftaaste, thought of getting ‘16 RRS Td6, but still at 7716 tow rating.
With added tq 325 vs 440 should help a bit.

LR3 has been sold outside of regular maintenance items. She’s been well cared for!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA