Is the sunroof suppose to leak into the runoff tray when closed in heavy rain??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwar63

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2008 RR sport with 117,000 miles. I was in a pretty good storm yesterday and I had the fabric open to the sunroof. Sunroof glass was fully closed. I could see rain, lots of rain, running in along the front corners of the sunroof and dripping into the plastic runoff tray inside the sunroof rails which then drain out the drip drains. All cars have these drip tray/drains but I have never seen water coming in at that rate. It was not a drip. It was a 8 drops at a time fast drip in both front corners of the sunroof. No water came in the car interior but it was concerning. I just happen to be taking the car back to my salesman for some follow up. I showed him and explained. He said 'oh yes, it is supposed to do that'. I am calling BS. Please reply with your experiences. Is he right or does the sunroof most likely need adjusting?

Kurt

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have never checked this in the manner you described. However, I had a clogged sunroof drain on my 08 LR3 and with the sunroof closed, every time it rained a lot of water would pour in down the A-Pillar and eventually drip onto the floor. Since the sunroof was closed, the water must have been seeping through the sunroof seal and into the tray, but then became blocked and worked its way in the wrong direction!

I would think that at 9-10 years of age, there must be some wear along the sunroof seals, allowing more water than when new, but it appears the system is working for you, which is a good thing. The question would be, what does it cost to replace the seals? There are so many things to spend money on in these vehicles it's hard to justify all the possible preventative maintenance items when things are working :)

kwar63

Reaction score
True statement, 'there are so many things to spend money on on these vehicles. I know there is some adjustment and yes, 10 years is a good run for sunroof seals exposed to Gulf Coast heat and weather. Thanks for the reply.

Talon_884

Reaction score
I had this problem recently after leaving the dealership, they had disconnected the battery which erased ALL the presets. There is a way to reset the Sun Roof so that it will "lock" in the proper location when closing, other wise it wont close where it should. Look in the handbook, the How To is listed in there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV