Is this possible to remove '16 LR4 running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
They aren't lying, they are just doing business in a lawsuit-happy marketplace. From Land Rover's perspective, if you do get hurt in a side impact collision after removing those boards in your garage despite their warnings, you can only blame yourself and your lawyer can't go after them or their dealers, which is why they stamp "Do not remove or you'll die!" all over those contraptions and all dealers will tell you that removing those life saving sliders is impossible and/or will cause the vehicle to fall apart like Jenga. If they even hinted that it was possible to remove them, someone would sue them, like, tomorrow morning for attempted ******, emotional distress and who-knows what else. That's the way things work in the United States.

It's sad but true. When I was ordering my LR4 the salesman pointed out several options that are specifically not permitted on US import versions. Wade sensing, front infotainment TV viewing for the passenger, a heater of some kind that can operate without the engine running (never even HEARD of such a thing!), so on and so forth. Why you may ask? The fear of American civil litigation. Freaking lawyers ruin everything!

He even told me there was, at one point, a non-air suspension version of the LR4 (Discovery 4 really) made for non-US markets but he wasn't sure if that was still current and in what markets they were made available. Of course, the one thing I badly wish I could've had on my LR4...a Diesel engine.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also have Department of Transportation to blame for lack of features. BMW has new laser headlights on the new 7 series. DoT hasn't approved, so US models are stuck with LED only. BMW also has an amazing adaptive technology with their headlights which is also not allowed due to DoT silliness.

Check out this vid. This tech has been around for nearly 4 years now, yet not legal in the US because of archaic DoT laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tajs8sqfOQY

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that it is Fed Reg that LR puts them on, but is it against the regs for the consumer to remove? Are we bound by that law?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are mandated by the Feds due to new safety regulations, you are technically breaking the law by removing them, it would be like driving around without a bumper. You are never going to get a ticket for doing so, however. Unlike a bumper, side steps look cosmetic to any cop.

All this new technology allegedly being introduced in the upcoming Discovery, such as laser headlights system, transparent hood, etc? Even if it does make it on production vehicles, chances are we will not see any of those gizmos here in North America, for all the reasons listed above.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are mandated by the Feds due to new safety regulations, you are technically breaking the law by removing them, it would be like driving around without a bumper. You are never going to get a ticket for doing so, however. Unlike a bumper, side steps look cosmetic to any cop.

All this new technology allegedly being introduced in the upcoming Discovery, such as laser headlights system, transparent hood, etc? Even if it does make it on production vehicles, chances are we will not see any of those gizmos here in North America, for all the reasons listed above.

Not meaning to keep beating this horse...

My concern with the regs is if in an accident, can the vehicle that hit my side gain in court because of this modification?

Are these truly mandated by fed regs to stay on, or is it more like the tags on a mattress and the consumer is free to do what they want?

This paper below seems to say that they are for the LR4 benefit and not there for protection on the colliding vehicle.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sent an e-mail to LR and asked, that despite them instructing the dealer to not remove, and have "do not remove" stamped on the boards, is it illegal for the consumer to remove the boards? Their response was that if a lease they must be on there for return. If a purchase, removal is at the discretion of the owner. They declined (of course) to state any legal opinion. They deferred the question to the dealer.

I asked the dealer rep today and he said that we can do whatever with the vehicle but he thinks they should stay on to "complete" the car and was not sure why I would take them off. He said that the dealer will not remove for anyone. He did not see them as mandatory but felt that everyone wants them.

Reaction score
They're totally removable. It's a pain in the ass yes, but doable. First side took me 40 min, second side maybe 20. You remove the plastic deck off the top of the steps; by removing the little nuts (giggle) underside. Then remove all the big Torx bolts on the under carriage along with some others. Next, you'll gently pop that vertical facing trim piece, open both doors for this, (I didn't take it all off) and remove the rest of the large torx bolts on the vertical face of the body. Be careful with the trim piece, the little plastic clips are very fragile. Weird because this thing is over-engineered like a tank. Each side has like 27 nuts and bolts...it's insane.

Obviously this is the quick and dirty, there are youtube videos out there too I think if you're not sure.

Question: was this non-destructive; could you re-install them, or did you have to mangle any plastic bits to get them off?

Asking because I really want to pull them off, but would need to reinstall for lease return.

Thanks!

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think rock sliders are an upgrade over the typically thin OEM running boards.

Paxton407

Reaction score
Question: was this non-destructive; could you re-install them, or did you have to mangle any plastic bits to get them off?

Asking because I really want to pull them off, but would need to reinstall for lease return.

Thanks!

Bump for a reply to this question - I'm in the same boat. I assume they can be removed and then reinstalled with no damage? I'm leasing as well.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the process is completely reversible without damage, just make sure you save all parts, nuts, bolts, washers, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV