Is this possible to remove '16 LR4 running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTBike

Reaction score
After just doing the removal myself 3 days ago, i can confirm - you can reinstall them with no issue whatsoever.

Now in my situation, I installed rocksliders. To do this, I had to remove all the plastic yellow retaining clips, and the trim piece - so the new units could sit flush against the frame. In doing so, I destroyed all the little yellow retainers. Can these be purchased for probably $20 and put back in if I need to? I'd be shocked if not... There's nothing you can do to a car that is irreversible, unless you weld or cut some part of the frame.. Even then, of course its reversible - it just might cost you.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not meaning to keep beating this horse...

My concern with the regs is if in an accident, can the vehicle that hit my side gain in court because of this modification?

Are these truly mandated by fed regs to stay on, or is it more like the tags on a mattress and the consumer is free to do what they want?

This paper below seems to say that they are for the LR4 benefit and not there for protection on the colliding vehicle.
attachment.php

I know this is from April, but here's my take:

A plaintiff's attorney, assuming he or she discovers the side-steps should have been there, may attempt to argue that the side-steps were a necessary safety feature that somehow exacerbated his client's injuries by having been removed, but he or she will need an expert witness to testify to such. Land Rover themselves determined the side-steps were necessary to meet the Federal regulations, but that doesn't inherently mean they are necessary to meet those regulations--that's just LR's interpretation.

And then there's the intent of the regulation itself. It's likely that the regulations are meant for the occupant of the vehicle that has the side-steps, not the vehicle impacting the vehicle with the side-steps. I cannot think of a single situation where the injuries or damages to a person/vehicle that t-bones an LR4 would be at all attenuated by the side-step (I guess maybe it would keep a low car from driving under the LR4?), but maybe it would help keep the LR4 from rolling over in such a situation.

Elinders

Reaction score
Anyone have a set in their garage that they want to get rid of? I will buy them!

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continuation from above. I looked under the vehicle and rust was forming on the running board framework. I removed them wire brushed, primed and undercoated both sides. Reinstalled and they did the same thing after last winter. I've been too busy this year but will do the same thing next spring. When you go to remove them make sure you have an air compressor available to blow out the area around the bolt heads deep inside the framework. You may need to get in there with a screw drive to clean out the debris. It builds up around the hex on the bolt head and the socket won't fit properly. They are heavy and it would help if you have help reinstalling.

John Aurelio

Reaction score
He is lying. They are removable.
Actually, He probably said they are integrated into the frame. On a 2015 and 2016 LR4, the running boards are part of the structure of the frame. Removing them would weaken the frame and reduce the integrity and rigidity of the vehicle.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, He probably said they are integrated into the frame. On a 2015 and 2016 LR4, the running boards are part of the structure of the frame. Removing them would weaken the frame and reduce the integrity and rigidity of the vehicle.

How so? what did they change on the frame for 15 and 16 that weakens if removed? same frame as 14?

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Considering that the LR3/LR4 are basically unibody on full frame I don't think running boards offered any increase in integrity or rigidity.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut