Jerry Cans and Holders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Hi David,

If it were me, I'd plan on leaving the poultry floor on all the time. It will make loading anything easier. I would attach the jerry can holder to the poultry floor with a bolt through each of the two holes in the base of the holder, through the poultry floor, and then backed up by a big fender washer and a Nylok nut. I've not done this, and I might test it before heading out on an expedition. If I had any worry that the two bolts were not enough, I'd drill 4 new holes in the base of the jerry can holder and secure it with 4 bolts. The standard two-bolt hole positions on the jerry can holder allow bolt heads to lay within the recess that goes all the way around the jerry can. If I used four bolts, I'd make sure they were flat-heads and countersink the holes that I drilled. My bet is that two bolts will be fine, though.

As for overlapping vs. non overlapping, that kind of depends on the particular measurements of the rack. Ideally you would want all the edges of the poultry rack to be supported. If that's not possible, I'd go with the overlapping. I think the non-overlapping would have a cleaner look.

HTH.

96_993TT

Reaction score
These are awesome with several options and configurations. rotopax.com No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Murphy

Reaction score
+ 1 for the METAL jerrycan design. I've used one in a pinch to help support an old jeep while digging her out. I don't know if these new models are as durable, but I'm sure they beat the knock off plastic ones I've seen for sale.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just received my water and petrol jerry cans and holders..... going to install the holders soon. I will take pictures once finished! :)

426946_10151095464841515_1400758620_n.jpg

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a rack that is a single platform but follows the roof contour? Looking for something very low profile but not as boring as the front runner rack.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand that its a years old thread, but did not want to start a new one if one already exists.

Been lookin into getting a jerry cans for gas and water for long trips. Wondering what has everyone else here been using. Metal or plastic? Pros and cons?

Found these guys and their products look pretty damn good:

https://rotopax.com

Any experiences here with the above? Also another brand with similar functionalities, etc.?

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 4-gallon rotopax last week, with a 2-gallon water container (white).

Gotta say, guys, holding the cans in hand looking at them in the flesh, I mean, damn, very well built. I could not push the plastic inward at any area of the cans including the center, supposedly the weakest part. They are damn expensive and so are their mounting hardware parts, but they seem very well made.

Just gotta figure out how to mount the 4-gallone version on the roof. My '16 came with the roof rails installed, and I have got those two LR crossbars up top.

Any mounting ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.

Would really like to keep a super low profile if I could (for wind noise/drag, etc) like this guy is doing on his xterra with some sort of inverted U-Bolt/crossbars mechanism (see his pix by scrolling down his post):

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-ext...-superstrut-crossbars-rotopax-roof-mount.html

I did quite a bit of research but haven't been successful in finding low profile crossbars made for LR3/4 roof rails like some third party vendors have made for other makers.

And please forgive me and guide me if I am breaking any forum rules here by adding a link to another forum, thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV