Keeping Audio on without Engine running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp

Reaction score
I've read a few things about this topic, but I was wondering if there was a workaround for this?
I know some cars with push button you can hold the button down for 5-10 seconds without the brake depressed and it will go into service mode so the radio, etc doesn't shut down after 10 mins.

I've never really needed to keep the radio running until yesterday...at the drive in!
Of course audio of a movie shutting off every 10 mins is no so great, especially when using the back for seating.

So, had anyone figured this out?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a relay that will cut the power (you can hear it) after a set period. There's a post somewhere on the forum how to remove the relay and jumper the contacts. It's all located in the foot well fuse panel iirc. You just need to remember to turn stuff off so it doesn't completely drain your battery.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a relay that will cut the power (you can hear it) after a set period. There's a post somewhere on the forum how to remove the relay and jumper the contacts. It's all located in the foot well fuse panel iirc. You just need to remember to turn stuff off so it doesn't completely drain your battery.
Wow! I have lived with this annoyance for 12 years (my LR3 did the same thing) and I never knew there was such an easy hack for it!
I figured the car was monitoring battery voltage and when the voltage dropped, it'd shut off. The theory at the time was fed by talk of the large amount of power the vehicle draws even when powdered off due to all the computers that are powered up.

Not being able to use the stereo when you are sitting on the tailgate enjoying the day is incredibly annoying. I can imagine the drive-in movie theatre issue being particularly troublesome.

Here is the text that was shared in Ben's link above -

It's been two years since I did mine but easy to do!! In the fuse/relay panel behind the glove box there are two relays ( Actually there are many but we will only work with two for this project). One for the Cig Lighters and one for power outlets. Simply remove the relay and install a jumper in place of the relay. You will then have them hot at all times!! Hasen't created any problems for me and is far simpler then running new wires all the way from the battery.. Make sure you read the diagram correctly and install the jumper across the correct two terminals (There are four total - 2 for the contact and two for the coil) Now if only I could find the relay for the power seats!!!
Unless I missed something, though - that talks about power outlets. Not the stereo. :hmmmm:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read a few things about this topic, but I was wondering if there was a workaround for this?
I know some cars with push button you can hold the button down for 5-10 seconds without the brake depressed and it will go into service mode so the radio, etc doesn't shut down after 10 mins.

I've never really needed to keep the radio running until yesterday...at the drive in!
Of course audio of a movie shutting off every 10 mins is no so great, especially when using the back for seating.

So, had anyone figured this out?
Running the radio for the length of a movie is a perfect way to be stuck asking for a jump start at the end of aid movie.... I was packing up for a trip once and kept turning the radio back on and then went to leave and no start. Luckily I have a dual system so I could jump myself basically but there's a reason for the auto shut off.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running the radio for the length of a movie is a perfect way to be stuck asking for a jump start at the end of aid movie.... I was packing up for a trip once and kept turning the radio back on and then went to leave and no start. Luckily I have a dual system so I could jump myself basically but there's a reason for the auto shut off.
You're right. It's unfortunate, though.
The car battery has enough juice to easily run the radio for hours... but the LR has so much other crap on in the background.

Would be nice if they could isolate that one accessory so it could stay on.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh yes, I killed my battery many times tailgating at concerts when I was younger. Fortunately I always had manual transmission cars and it's pretty easy to get a bunch of people together to push-jump a car in a stadium parking lot!

What I hate in my LR3 is that the radio automatically reduces the volume to level 20 as soon as the ignition is shut off. It's not loud enough to use as an outdoor radio if working out in the yard or something and it seems silly to leave it running when parked just to have music.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick