Key fob and key shank re-programming issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cleppard

Reaction score
I only got one key when i purchased my 2005 LR3 SE v8 second hand (the other key had been lost).

So after reading a thread on here I saw that I could buy just the shank separately (this comes cut to fit your lock direct from landrover) and put it on an original FOB from i got from ebay (origonally for another LR3) and then take the key to the dealer to get it programmd to work with my LR3. this bypasses paying Landrover $250 for a key fob.

So I phone up my landrover dealer to buy the key shank so i can put it in my ebay remote and then pay them to reprogram the remote for my car. I am told they will not sell me one as the remote i have (the one i got from ebay) will never work with my car as the fob part of the key need to be ordered specifically for the LR3 in the same way the key shank is.

Does anybody have any experience of this? before they told me they won't sell me the shank they went to speak to their manager (who) i suspect told them to tell me it wont work so I can buy a new $250 key from them and then pay an additional $70 to get it programmed.

what are peoples view on this? can a fob that has been programmed be re-programmed for another LR3.

rchavez03

Reaction score
sorry buddy

Yeah sometimes buying things from ebay dont work....this is straight from the 05 lr3 shop manual and no key can be re-programmed onto another vehicle once it has been programed.... sorry

TRANSPONDER
The transponder is an integral part of the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) located within the head of the ignition key. For additional information, refer to Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems (501-14 Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems)

The transponder is powered by a rechargeable battery and is contained within the processor on the PCB, which also controls the remote operation of the Central Locking System (CLS). A separate coil on the PCB is used by the transponder to receive the signals from the transponder coil on the ignition switch. The coil is also used to generate the current required to recharge the battery.

The transponder has a 256 byte Electronic Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM), which is programmed with vehicle identification data and a unique identification code. This information is stored in one of 30 key 'slots' within the CJB. When energized, the transponder emits the coded information which is received by the CJB. The CJB checks that the key is valid by confirming the received data before granting permission to start the engine. The information programmed into the transponder cannot be overwritten. If a key is lost or is no longer required, T4 can be used to disable the key to prevent it being used on the vehicle.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related, make sure you give the shop your existing key as well, whenever they program the new one...

Models
LM - New Range Rover
LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title Key Programming disables absent keys on LS, LA & LM
Last Modified 29-AUG-2008 15:51
Category Diagnostic Software/Hardware
Symptom 000101 Diagnostic Concerns
Content
Key Programming disables absent keys on Discovery 3/LR3, Range Rover Sport & Range Rover

Issue:
Users are disabling spare keys when reprogramming individual/additional keys to the above vehicles. IDS does not warn the user that this will occur.

Cause
Programming any keys to the above vehicles will disable all keys not present at the time of programming.

Action
When programming keys to the above vehicles, it is important that all keys are present. Any keys not present will be disabled, and will require reactivating at a later date.

The text within IDS DVD 116 will be updated to reflect this, and will read as follows:

"Please ensure that all keys required to function for this vehicle have been provided by the owner before continuing the application, otherwise abort the application and request all keys from customer.
Failing to adopt the pre-requisite above will result in previously enabled keys that are not present being disabled.
Do you wish to continue?"

Thank you for your cooperation,

Kind Regards,
Jaguar Land Rover Service Diagnostics

cleppard

Reaction score
Thanks for the info i will hopefully get the money back on the ebay key as they have a no questions refund......we will see though.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good resources here. Nice responses you got. Sorry for the bad luck purchase. Shop around for that key price, I get 10 - 20 percent off list here depending upon the dealer, and I bet mail order dealers (if they exist for LR as they do for Audi/VW) discount further.

05LR3

Reaction score
I would like to know how you are getting quoted $320.00 for a new shank and programed fob from the dealer. I'm in the same situation with my 05 LR3 and I'm looking at $430 from my dealer. That's with $130.00 for programing (1 hour labor). What's the name of your local dealer? I'm being told by everyone including Land Rover North American that the keys must be laser cut in England and can only be programed by the dealer. To top it off it takes 4 weeks to get your key. If you loose your remaining key you'll have to tow it to the dealer and it will sit there untill keys arrive from England. This may have been a deal breaker for me when I purchased my used 05 last month. Plese let me know your outcome.

cleppard

Reaction score
I live up in Canada so its the local dealer in Calgary. but like you said you have to go to them in person so this may not help you and their prices have probably gone up now anyhow.

I still haven't got around to ordering mine.

mrmac16

Reaction score
Stolen Keys, purchase new ones, disable previous ones???

A couple days ago the keys to my mom's 08 LR3 where stolen. We where traveling and while away they broke into our home and took the safe where both original keys where stored. We are aware that we need two replacement keys, but the people at the dealer in Ecuador said we have to change all the master cylinders in the car, including the one in the steering column.
I was reading the forums and verified that the keys need to speak to the cars PCB in order to allow the vehicle to start, if this premise is true, I assume that the previous stolen keys can be disabled, without the need to change all the master cylinders on the vehicle. We just want to prevent the vehicle from being stolen, that is all.

Thanks for any advice

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you replace the keys, only the keys present at the time of programming will work to start the car. The thief that stole your keys may still be able to get in if they know the trick to access the lock cylinder on the drivers door. Sorry to hear about the theft and good luck...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut