Knocking Sound, AC System?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armozo

Reaction score
Hi all, I just noticed something that now that is hot was a bit easier to pinpoint. I say pinpoint but am looking for the group wisdom.

I hear a knocking sound that diminishes when the AC is turned on. I think it is louder with it off though.
Facing the engine I hear it coming from the right side of the engine. Could it be my air compressor failing?

My car MY10 LR4 has had the timing guides, chain tensioner replaced. I am sure that is not where the sound is generated.

Thank in advance for your insight.

armozo

Reaction score
ktm525, it might be... my fan clutch was making clicking noise this winter. I did not think that its issue could exhibit also as a knocking. I think I need to fix the fan first and rule that out.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok if you know the clock cadence ticking of the clutch fan then that is not it. Deep knock? Can you record it?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, to me, the clutch fan sounds more like a "tink, tink, tink" and less of a knock, if that makes sense. At least in my experience.

It could be either a compressor or one of the belt pulleys going out.

Does it sound external to the engine or internal?

armozo

Reaction score
The "knock" sounds deep, like knocking on a table ... I cannot say it is external or internal... I can't make it out.
I also have heard and had the "tink, tink, tink" from the Fan.
I will try to record a sample of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72