Land Rovers Suck!! Hear me out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving it HAHA!!! You can question all you want but the Y pipe not only was broke off at the 2 inlets, it was split in the seams. These engines are junk! You know it, Ford knows it, and TaTa knows it...

LOL what an intelligent post... "These engines" ? Now the whole thing is just horrible because you failed as a human to simply replace it with the aftermarket brass version. You're essentially behaving as just a cry baby. Ironically it's people like you who end up with the problems.

I think I'll put more weight into the 10 or so long time mechanics who all say the lr3 engine is actually incredibly reliable and issue free.

As for issues that do occur for some people, even the Land Cruiser had front differential troubles and everyone knows the LC is one of the best out there. Grow up and do something else with your life than ***** and moan on a site with access to more knowledge than you apparently want to learn.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol- I forgot this is the lr4 engine he's ******** about. Oh well. Guess you guys are screwed.

Maybe Falconworks will make a solid replacement like they did for the lr3 coolant Y pipe

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest... "aftermarket brass version"??? Could you please give more details? If better than original LR replacement then good option to consider.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest... "aftermarket brass version"??? Could you please give more details? If better than original LR replacement then good option to consider.

For lr3: just contact them. Got one and it’s nicely made.

That lr4 thing is a lot bigger part though. Guess the engineers deduced to make a simple thing as complicated as possible.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every forum is full of people complaining about problems with their vehicles whether its a Ford or whatever. The key is to remember that you're driving one of the best looking, best performing, most capable vehicles with one of the proudest pedigree's still in manufacture. Sure they have issues, I work on mine constantly, but my blood runs green and I would have no other vehicle as my daily driver. Yes I'm on vacation in Florida today and yes I drove my Touareg because it's new but I would be in a Disco 5 if I could afford one even given all the electronic issues I hear about. Land Rover is still the one everyone else looks to as the king of the hill. IMHO.

So how long have you been only LR?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an 89 Range Rover in about 1995 and traded it for a Disco I 97 model in around 2000. Then came a 1999 Disco II which I traded stupidly on a VW CC when gas hit $4.00 a gallon in around 2012. Couldn't stand it and in 2013 bought an LR3 which I still have. All of them were used as will be my Discovery 5 when I find one I can afford. I remember the day I got the Range Rover and looked at that green oval on the steering wheel and thought "this is the real deal" and my blood has run green ever since. I have had Jeeps of various models, Blazers big and small, Trooper, Expedition, (I used to be friends with a used car dealer) and of all of them the rovers were the most capable and had the solid feel I always was looking for. Anyway this is an answer to Jwest's comment about feeling new to it. Also FYI I work on my own vehicles, always have, since my first car, a 67 mustang inherited from my mom in 1974.

So for me, I guess the bottom line is that Land Rovers do not "suck". I have tolerance for newbies who think they know everything and because they have a couple of problems they abandon the marque. Like I said in an earlier post, someone is posting on every other forum that whatever it is sucks because they have had a bad experience. The reality is knowing enough to stay up on the maintenance, and use common sense. My LR3 has 220k on the odo so this spring I replaced both front hubs, all the drive shafts, and am doing front end stuff as well knowing that those things are going to go at some point so why not get ahead of the game and replace them since I have no history on the truck before I got it with 150k. I paid around $4900 for it knowing it needed a radiator and some other minor stuff and have rebuilt each system as I went hopefully staying in front of a breakdown. Sorry to run on but really, Land Rovers do not suck.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone will engineer better replacements for the few engine area issues.

Between all vehicle manufactures designing and engineering teams must face their "bean counters" before production begins, guess who wins? Rephrase that, who lost, us the general buying public.
Remember the chevy Vega engine, it was a great engine after they were punched out and iron cylinder liners were installed. LR's old 3.5 litre engine punched out to 3.9 litre, LR extracting every bit of time and production life out of it. Next phase the 4.0 & 4.6 with block and journal improvements including one major fault with continued production, those straight cylinder liners vs "top hats" but no, the bean counters won again and we the public lost again.
To read this forum on how "high tech" the newer 5.0 litre twin cam engines were vs the old 4.0 & 4.6 push rods then read about the timing chains chewing themselves away and making noise plus the slippers with replacement parts costing $5K to $9K plus at only 60K miles, that's really sad for the public. Bean counters win again, more likely greed vs solving a few known engine issues and correcting them. Granted all vehicle manufactures brands will have issues. It's those other manufactures which correct their vehicles and engines faults or weaknesses I have a high respect for.
Plastic radiator "burp" plug as example on my 95 D1 which failed deep in the mountains, a nice experience I bet another bean counter money saved vs installing an earlier Range Rover's brass "burp" plug.
Being stranded a tree branch whittled down then threaded into the radiator saved my butt able to get off the mountain. Sure bet a brass "burp" plug was found at a Pick-n-Pull when returning to civilization. To see so many not that old Land Rovers in Pick-n- Pull sent a chill up my spine and a wake up call to carry a spare distributor, alternator with belt when far away from civilization. I've been ribbed by friends,some who run engine rebuild shops, one a retired T/F dragster engine builder and owner as well strangers, "why did you buy or own a POS LR?". I like the challenge of keeping it running as well the performance increases and overall running vs stock since ownership from 1-2000. The wifey would gladly have it sent to a crusher after being stranded several times by it from starter failures to fuel pump, relays, AC quit (black D1). Good thing I can bump start it, only need 10' in 3rd gear. The thrill or wait to see what next will screw up or fail next. ....~~=o&o>......

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember5, I totally agree...it's all about driving a vehicle that you enjoy and feel is the "real deal" for you. I drove Honda Accords in the 80's because they made fun 4 cylinder engines with silky manual transmissions. As they morphed into transportation appliances, I moved onto Audi in the 90's. What a shocker compared to Honda in regard to nonstop issues but the A4 avants were fun to drive and quattro took me skiing in any snowstorm. Now with kids, a dog and active life, we have 2 LR4s that are the "real deal" for us right now.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, does any one have a picture of the exact location of this Y pipe thats causing so much trouble ? I think it would be a good idea to change mine this summer.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV