LED Headlight bulbs - installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cafet100

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the H7 bulbs with LEDs on the 2005 LR3? Any install issues please like canbus resistors needed? The full conversions are out of my league cash wise.

Thanks for any advise you can provide.
Pat

Globetrotter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thought as I was thinking about this. Only thing I found was that on some systems you may get intermittent error but would be interested to hear from others who have done it

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...are H7 the Halogens (like on the SE models) or the HIDs?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H7 are halogen. HID are....just HID but our lr3 hse’s Or ones w lighting pkg have “xenon”, i don’t think it was called HID.

I replaced my Audi fogs w HID. It’s just a lamp w ballast thing.

The lr3 xenon are in the projector ball.
The lighting is so good I’d recommend trying to go that route over some potentially tricky LED thing that ultimate may not output too well anyway not being designed for the H7 housing...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID (High Intensity Discharge) typically use a trapped gas and an arcing electric spark to ignite it. The gas is usually Xenon so the terms are used interchangeably at times. It's my favorite headlamp technology anyway...maybe just because we put 'em on the 787...but I do like them over LED and Hali.

The projector ball represents the optics...elliptical lens. You probably know plenty about that, Jwest, considering your line of work.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didn't know the lamp gas could be the same so that's interesting. thx for info. That ball must work sort of like a Fresnel on Arri stage lights allowing focusing/intensification by way of the glass itself

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I know know, the reflector optics are a base ellipse. The force is on one foci and the lens on the other.

Oztimer

Reaction score
Have installed both low and hi beam leds in my 06 LR3 the extra ballast (anti flicker) devise is not required on se models anyways. The problem occures with locking bulb to beezel North American vehicles simply insert into socket then quarter turn locks em in! European style uses the wire spring type clip! Since leds come with a cooling fan mounted to the back of the bulb assembly it’s difficult but not impossible to engage the wire clip. While leds are easier on the eyes from the drivers seat under normal conditions I’m finding that in fog or snowstorm the light *********** is minimal. Whiteout or fog out conditions are greatly exaggerated since the led is more reflective than penitrating and I’m not real crazy about that!

cafet100

Reaction score
I tried to install Beamtech H7 LEDs in the High beam. The opening is too small to get the LED into place. I tried one in the dipped position but it did not work at all. Incidentally our 2005 LR3 is N.American spec and has the wire retainers for the bulbs. The H7 plate does twist off the LED allowing you to lock the plate in place then insert the bulb and twist into place. As there is no "Bulb out" error on the dash I am told there is no CANBUS. I am not so sure. I just installed a Cyclops H4 7000 lumen in my KTM Bike and that is an incredible light!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...you guys replacing the HIDs with LEDs or replacing the halis? You said H7, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72