LED Headlight bulbs - installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have installed both low and hi beam leds in my 06 LR3 the extra ballast (anti flicker) devise is not required on se models anyways. The problem occures with locking bulb to beezel North American vehicles simply insert into socket then quarter turn locks em in! European style uses the wire spring type clip! Since leds come with a cooling fan mounted to the back of the bulb assembly it’s difficult but not impossible to engage the wire clip. While leds are easier on the eyes from the drivers seat under normal conditions I’m finding that in fog or snowstorm the light *********** is minimal. Whiteout or fog out conditions are greatly exaggerated since the led is more reflective than penetrating and I’m not real crazy about that!
Your comment re LED light in fog and snow much interested me. I am tending to hear similar comments re LED light - OK in clear conditions; lousy in less than perfect weather. I think that is because the colour of the LEDs is too white - up in the 6000K range - seems great in clear night conditions.

This is why I am sticking to my 4300K Xenon HIDs and halogen on the "inboard" high beams. My fog lights are the yellow 2500K colour. I think this combo is good for Canadian realities and should be good for the Northern States as well. California would be a different story if it were not for the smoke.

cafet100

Reaction score
I have a cyclops 7000 Lumen LED on my bike and that cuts through anything way better than standard bulbs.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LEDs are also very saturated in their color temp...meaning they have a very narrow band of wavelengths emitted as compared to their incandescent counterparts. I feel like the light is "pale" when I see it. As for fog and rain, I've read reports about Mie scattering with various wavelengths with the argument being that yellow/amber is better in fog whereas the "whiter" wavelengths scatter in the water particles and that increases the retro-reflection making them worse in fog.

Others rebuke this finding but to me, it passes the eyeball test. Amber does better.

viper_iii

Reaction score
I haven't found a led that is able to fit past the inner ring on the mount plate...

Thought... Oh I'll just drill it open more....
Nope don't try that... Replacement housing later ordered hid kit - with so many extra boxes - that I never re- attempted...

12 LR4 H7 and H11.. only care about low beam but would do both if the bulb would fit into housing.

Mounting plate on most was adjustable to the three tabs... Just diameter of all the bulbs I tried don't for where old halogen bulb does...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV