Lockers... Which are the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have posted my opinion about lockers in the miscellaneous files, and want to know what others feel are the best lockers for a lifted Discovery??? My vote goes out to the Detroit and TT!

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spool. :D

Detroit rear, TT front.

I wish we could get the electromagnetic locker that's just come out, but simplicity (Detroit) convinces me. No air lines to rupture, no switches to throw, and that cool clacking sound...

D

discomike

Silence is Golden

Slam said:
What is that all about?
Sam,
Don't worry about all the old stories that are running around out there regarding Detroit's clicking and unloading. It is all true, but that is about the old style Detroit, the new one is refered to as a silent locker because of the cjanges they have made to them. Now it's not to say they won't talk to you once in a while but it is rare, and can be nearly removed with the right oil.
Instead of using the typical, over the counter gear oil, us this oil. With the GL6 rating it works better than synthetic and in my trucks case, I can do full tight circles and get no clicks. Once in awhile it will unload while of the road, but it is it's way of letting you know it's still there and doing what you bought it for.
By the way, this oil works great with the True Trac, and their lighter weight oil is really good for your t/case.
Now go out and buy some.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a little advise and Technical help!!! I have a seller with a "Safari" roof rack. He dosn't know if it is from a DI, or a DII. Will this rack fit both??? Please help guys, as I have to either pay tomorrow, or pass it up. Thanks, Anthony Z. I have a DII

D

discomike

Rack is a Rack is a Rack--NOT!

So to answer your question, no a D1 rack will not fit a D2, I take it he does not own the truck it came off of.
Don't be in a big hurry, you can usually find a used rack on the web.
Mike J.

M

ModRover

ARB for me

Hello,

My vote is for the ARB. Yeah, it's got air lines and switches and a compressor. All these could go bad. That said, they usually don't. Even if one of those components does... the 4-pin ARB diff. is still working as a seriously strong diff.

I like a locker that is either on or off. I don't want it hunting... ever. Get yourself on a side slope and a limited slip will often spin that axle down hill. With the ARB you just switch it off and at least one tire is that all important dead weight that keeps you in a straight line.

I understand that we all have our favorites. Nothing really wrong with the others mentioned. I just like the ARB stuff. I like the air compressor (it's kind of weak to be running power tools and might take awhile to fill your tires) when you match it with a remote res. tank as it helps with quicker tire fills. Plus, you can use a air gun with it and blow out the rad. fins when it gets plugged up with mud from that river crossing! haha

Make sure you upgrade the axles on this. Even the stock 24-spline axles are a bit on the weak side. A locker puts a lot of extra stress on things. If the locker diff. is now stronger... the axle will then be the easy way out. I've got the Great Basin (****-Drive) axles. Very solid build.

Just my .02,
Michael
'65 IIA Special

D

discomike

Michael,
I agree with your statement that we all have our favorites and I like that fact that I don't have to wait on my Detroit, it is always locked and only needs to unlock on turns. I like the True Trac because I don't have to turn it on and off tto turn while working a line and it is still all gear operated with no clutches.
This is what makes all our Rovers different and unique and gives us something to brag about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV