Long term plan for the LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to think this would become the next Defender 110. ($100,000+ used now) If so, I'd buy another one and wrap one up in bubble wrap for 20 years. I can't see driving anything else in order to save mine, so it's just gonna have to get used. Fortunately I don't put a lot of miles on it so I've got til 2027 or so for them to come out with something appealing again.

Elinders

Reaction score
Pfunk; that is one impressive sacrifice and I salute you!

Paul; we have talked before and also as a former allroad owner, I too go back and check on the forum. I bought my allroad from Bruce and had him sell it for me to another allroad enthusiast. I had a 2005 and even owning the last model, it was still 11 years old when I sold it and it will hopefully continue for many years.
And I agree; this forum is already full of extremely knowledgeable members. Add 10 more years to their ownership and it will be incredible (allroad 2001-2005, LR4 2010-2016)

Roverman; Sounds great to me!

Great comments everyone and lots to consider. Obviously there are unknowns and every LR4 is different but I'm looking forward to the next couple of decades with everyone!

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am relatively new to the brand, with my '15 being my first. I have smiled at the thought that my oldest daughter (she will be 9 soon) could be driving my LR at some point in the future. It could happen, but then I have second thoughts when I read about some air suspension problems and have also had an occasional CEL illuminate...and then "fix" itself. I also watch the rotary gear-shift knob magically raise itself as I turn on the engine and wonder: a) why?, and b) when will that servo fail?

In my family, we suffer from the buy-and-hold philosophy of cars and there is typically a major emotional attachment with any sort of transportation device. My father still has his mother's '66 Eldorado, and he has his '76 Lincoln Mark IV (which is the but of so many jokes).

I echo a lot of prior sentiments, and I think we were all drawn to our LRs for the value of their ruggedness. I cringe every time someone asks me how I like my "Range Rover", lol. But just as we are sad to see the LR4 change into the new Disco, there does need to be model progression for the brand to carry on.

Now, I know my '15 is not exactly the same as the '13 and earlier models with the bulletproof V8, but with every year comes more and more "gadgets" that we are not necessarily asking for. In my area of North Jersey I still see "many" Discos and more than a handful of LR3s, so I don't think having this vehicle for 10 years is out of the question...that should carry me long enough to achieve my long term plan which involves a Defender 110 with some sort of "modern, but not too-modern" drivetrain.

gypsy

Reaction score
We have had a 2006 LR3 for about 2 years now. I bought it as a temporary vehicle to use for some farm work until the new Discovery came out.

I went to look at the new Disco (LR5) and was not impressed. The visibility is greatly decreased, the windshield has more of a rake...and centre row passengers seem to have to bunch their legs higher than in my LR3.

So instead of buying the new LR5, we're now looking for a 2012/2013 LR4 with a V8. If/when we find the right one for us, I don't think it will be leaving our household for a very, very long time.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"The folks over at the BMW Car Club of America, notably Mike Miller, has a "better than factory" maintenance guide which many people follow"

Is this something that we are interested in doing? In some cases, enhanced maintenance can mean significant mileage increases on things that are "deal breakers" to us, like trannys and lower/upper engine components.. The problem is that we have such a small pool of drivers to confirm what increased maintenance will yield us. I don't have a solid idea on what needs to be maintained, and how often (beyond the LR recommendations), but I think that there is enough knowledge here to highlight our problem areas, and attack . This place is an excellent resource for write-ups; maybe the final frontier is figuring how we can get these trucks to 200k and beyond..

It appears that there are a few of us that are in this for the long haul.. I may eventually get an LR5, but will NOT be giving up my 4 until something major fails.. I think if we get the gurus of this list together we could put some shape to vehicle longevity through debate: What to increase maintenance on, how often, and what needs to be added that LR forgot or omitted.

Mike

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you open your owner's manual it shows the maintenance schedule for quite some time (miles).
BMWs were a specific animal back then with extremely poor performing cooking systems and horrific oil consumption.
I don't know what would apply to the LR4 however I do agree that all maintenance should be followed based on miles or time depending on your driving needs.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I view the Land Rover maintenance schedule as worst case. As a rule of thumb, cut them in half for regular use. For heavy use you may want to consider even shorter intervals. For low mileage use cases consider annual service intervals as belts/hoses still dry out at the same interval, whether sitting in a garage or traveling 20K/yr. I definitely would not go 15K miles between oil changes or 10 years for diff/tranny intervals.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 followed the recommended LR schedule and was (besides the electronics) in top condition even with lots of heavy off-roading.
When I worked for Mercedes (not dealership) back in Germany people would laugh about the fact that buyers still have to break in their engines. Engines are broken in at the factory. The only thing that needs a little time are the brakes which need to be bedded in (except for the LR for some reason).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV