Looking for input from LR2 owners!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thought I'd drop by and and ask for some info regarding the LR2. My wife and I picked up an LR4 in August, and are lovin it! In fact, I like it so much I'm considering an LR2 for my next company vehicle. Currently I drive an 08 Caddy CTS AWD. I like the car, but if I were to go for one in 2011 (when my current vehicle's lease is up), I'd be looking at about a $53k outlay for the 11 CTS AWD outfitted they way mine is. Therefore, I'm considering looking at alternatives, and am thinking about going back to an SUV for my work driver. I drive 80% or more highway miles. About 20k per year. Fuel mileage is somewhat important for me, so I'd like to know what current owners typically get from their LR2's? Currently, I get about 21 on average with my CTS. I'm completely fine with that, but would hate to get into something only to find out that I would only get about 15 or 16 on average. I've seen conflicting reports ranging from 15 to 20 mpg with the LR2, so I thought I'd ask the folks that drive these every day.

I've already test driven the LR2, and like it very much. I'm sure it would work out well for me, but I'm a bit concerned about the possible lack of horsepower, vs. the mileage I would get. Other vehicles I'm considering are the Audi Q5, new Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the V6, and the Mercedes GLK. With pricing ranging from about 42k up to 48k, I'm also looking at what kind of mileage, upkeep, etc. Any input would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the LR2 as well, and have driven LR2 loaners for thousands of miles. It is a fun little SUV that is a pleasure to drive. I thought of one myself, but decided if I were to go that route I would go with the Q5, Jeep, or Outback. I love Subaru's, so I am biased, and the Outback pretty much beats the LR2 in everything but prestige. The new X3 is also worth a look. The LR2 is getting somewhat long in the tooth, and has got to be up for a redesign/refresh soon?

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife leased a Volvo XC-90 for three years but she is currently leasing an Acura TL. As a 2008 LR3 owner, I have the joy of driving a LR2 loaner often, what can I say? We love the little truck, as compared to the LR3. In 16 months we are either leasing or buying one. Good gas mileage, comfortable ride, I am 6'2" and 260 pounds on a hot dry day. The last loaner I had was the HSE fully loaded black/black interior and it was a sweet ride. As long as you don't need to pull anything I think it's a great buy. For the price, compared to the Volvo or Acura, I will take the LR (but I am way too bias).

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Thanks for the info, it's pretty much what I was looking for. My only other questions would be, what type of gas mileage should you expect with an LR2 (mostly highway miles), and what type of maintenance costs would you expect to incur over 3 years and 60K miles? If someone has some answers or ideas to those questions, it would be much appreciated. I've asked these questions at the dealer, but the sales guys always seem to have generic or vanilla answers and don't want to commit to anything.

Thanks again!

Joe

zoey

Reaction score
I've only owned my 2010 LR2 HSE Sport for a few weeks now, but it appears that I'm averaging about 18.6mpg. I should state that it's about minus 27C out right now, and my trips have been short.

I too was looking at the Audi Q5, and the MB GLK. First, the Audi is an incredible vehicle. The sheer amount of technology in this vehicle is astounding. Unfortunately, they may have overdone it. Menu's which lead to sub-menu's for sub-sub-menu's.....You literally have to pull over roadside just to figure out how to pull over roadside.:wink:

The build quality was superior to either the LR or BM, but the exterior styling really put me off (not to mention the steepest price of the three vehicles).

Next, we have the Mercedes-Benz GLK. My choice was really between the MB and LR. The build quality (IMHO) of the BM is superior to the LR. I believe the materials used are much better sans the dials for the climate control. I really like the exterior styling of the MB more than the Rover. What I hated was the interior. It is so German-bland. Boring. Uninspiring. Not that the LR doesn't have it's interior faults, but at the end of the day I'll be spending more time driving than staring at the exterior of the vehicle. Another deal-breaker was that, for roughly the same kitted vehicle, I would be spending an additional 6,000US for the MB.

I went to look closely at the BMW X3 as it's such a popular vehicle. I've always been a big fan of BMW, but never owned one. I always thought them to be of exceptional pedigree, and built with exotic materials. Once I laid hands on the X3, my preconceived notions were dashed. I pulled lightly on the plastic bits near the back door and they immediately fell off. The entire vehicle felt 'cheap'. The exterior was boring. Despite being at the dealer 3 times, I was unable to find anyone willing to sell me a vehicle. I guess I wasn't dressed well enough.

Probably more than you wanted to know, and all if it is personal opinion, but I hope it helps. It helped me to list all of the positives/negatives of each vehicle (side-by-side) on paper. It really helped to put things into perspective. I also sought out professional reviews to help me decide. FYI, the GLK received horrible reliability reviews from Consumer Reports (not that they are the final authority by any stretch of the imagination).

DeathWind

Reaction score
Mpg

We've had our LR2 for about 4 months now and getting better gas milage than our 2005 Jaguar S-type V6 did. My wife drives 25 miles to work (50 total a day) 5 days a week. She hits some morning traffic on the H1 here in Honolulu. According to the trip log she's averaging 24.3 to 25.4 MPG. When I drive it on the weekend we're doing short trip in the city and the MPG drops to 18-22mpg average. A lot better than we expected and much better than the Jag.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool guys! Thanks for the reply's! I still have not yet decided on what vehicle to get (lease). As I'm looking at leasing, the LR2 is probably looking more and more like the vehicle I "won't" get. What I mean is that they just are not leasing well at the moment. Bad residuals, and no factory incentives. I've gotten quotes from VW on a new Touareg (2011 model) that costs $4k more, for much less then the LR2, and also the Q5, and the new Jeep GC Overland V6 is even coming in substantially less. I like the LR2, but if I went with it, I'd be paying more for less vehicle. Not sure I can wrap my head around that one!

Cheers,

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV