Loss of speed uphill and outside squeeking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblackdog

Reaction score
2000 Land Rover Disco 2 - Uphill the LRD2 loses speed however driving normally, there's a light squeeking sound that can be heard only when the windows are rolled down ... any advice as to what the issues could be? I've been asked to look at the front drive shaft/constant velocity joints...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Need way more info:

Uphill as in how big a grade? How Fast are you travelling when it loses speed? Is the Rover factory stock? Is this off road or on road? Last tune up? How many miles.

Squeaking is probably brakes or maybe worn shocks.

theblackdog

Reaction score
Thank you Joey! The grade is just regular, however regular in the Catskills could mean like a 10 mile incline of 45 degrees. Speed I'm going is around 65 but it drops to 45 by the time I'm up on the top of the climb without changing acceleration. I now take my foot off the accelerator and then slowly compress again just to maintain a safe speed up, and still then I hear it struggling. the 2000LRSeriesII is factory, on-road 90% of the time and the last tune up was last year. It has 102,000 miles.
With regards to squeeking, its quite high pitched. The brakes are fine. I'll check the shocks for sure. It mostly comes on when I am using either the heater or fan and it sounds like its coming from the outside right of the car.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
that helps... check the serpentine adjuster, it may be going bad (squeak).

Loss of power... How long have you notice the loss of power or has this just recently started? If recent, check your air filter. Have you changed tires recently? If so are they bigger than the old ones?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV