Lower control arm question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah orange on front and back of LCA.

Both left and right side too

LR4PDX

Reaction score
Question? How did you remove the old bushings to instal the Polys? Cut, press or burn them out. Seen the cut and burn technique. Hoping to find local shop to have them pressed out or find a press I can use or rent in the Portland, OR area.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it similar to Atlantic British video. I drilled out the rubber around until I could get my reciprocating saw in to cut through the sleeve. The first one I did too much and scuffed up my control arm. The sleeves are pretty thin. Made a couple slots then just took a screw driver and hammered out. Putting poly ones in by hand wasn't a problem. I think it would be difficult to press out as you would need close to an exact fit attachment. I have the giant c clamp looking bushing pusher/puller from harbor freight, I think you can borrow a better version from Autozone though. Video was helpful to me

http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/rear-bushing-replacement-range-rover-sport/

LR4PDX

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The lack of an overhead lift, large air compressor and air hammer led me to the local Rover shop. He actually gave me a pretty good deal replacing both arms.

New tires and arms, the green beast is riding smooth again.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I probably would have done the same...I'm still looking for a local rover shop I can develop trust in.

tenzer

Reaction score
Is there a procedure or test to verify the condition of the lower control arm bushings? My LR4 only has 40k miles but if I tap the brakes hard and fast below 15mph I hear a sharp metal clank noise that doesn't really sound like brake pad noise. I can't replicate the noise over speed bumps or *** holes so maybe it is the brakes?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You pretty much ju st performed it, with positive results unfortunately. Going over bumps may not trigger it..yet..

Do you have an oil like fluid on the garage floor or on the bushings?

Mike

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a procedure or test to verify the condition of the lower control arm bushings? My LR4 only has 40k miles but if I tap the brakes hard and fast below 15mph I hear a sharp metal clank noise that doesn't really sound like brake pad noise. I can't replicate the noise over speed bumps or *** holes so maybe it is the brakes?

Going over sharper bumps like medium stones on harder surfaces pronounced the first clunks that I heard. When I took it to the dealer, the service guy performed the exact same procedure you described. Go slow and give hard jabs on the brake pedal.. sure enough, you could hear the clunk with each press.

tenzer

Reaction score
You pretty much ju st performed it, with positive results unfortunately. Going over bumps may not trigger it..yet..

Do you have an oil like fluid on the garage floor or on the bushings?

Mike

That isn't the news I wanted to hear. No fluid underneath and the rear lower bushings appear dry but I suppose the bushings could have leaked out before I bought the vehicle?

Has anyone else had these bushings fail with only 40k miles of use?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of a lot of LR4s that needed LCA bushings around 35-40k. Sadly a (very expensive) wear item.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV