LR 4 - Rock Through Radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

375HnH

Reaction score
Greetings. I would like to pose a question to the LRForum group re:a supposed rock through my radiator in my 2014 LR4 LUX w/ HD package. 35k miles, still under factory warranty.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening to a LR4 on the highway? I was under the impression the underbody was designed in a way to limit this from happening in off-roading situations.

Backstory: I was driving the aforementioned vehicle on a 500 mile roadtrip full of gear, dogs and guests and of all places in a major city 200 miles from home, on a major interestate, a supposed rock came up and hit my radiator and put a hole in the radiator. i understand this happens - but to this particular vehicle?

Details: The low coolant light came on, I pulled over and filled up the reservoir with coolant and went on my way. I was no more than two miles down the interestate (on a busy elevated metropolitan freeway system) when engine overheating light came on. As soon as I could safely exit the roadway I pulled the vehicle off, just before the emergency vehicle shut-down system engaged. I was sitting dead as a doornail on the side of the road. Got picked up and dropped off at local dealer.

The local LR dealer said it was probably a bad water pump, which would be covered under factory warranty. Come to find out, I was told today (six days later) that it was a busted radiator, which would not be covered under the warranty program, rather I would have to go through insurance. The fight begins.

I get the insurance/LR North America dynamic here....who's going to push-off the fault on who...

Advice/comments are appreciated.

All the best.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A rock could conceivably fly through the front grill and hit the radiator; it doesn't need to come from below.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on that, my bet is that it came through the front. The radiator is pretty big, but I can't see how it could have got through the armor..

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how a rock hits the radiator head on without taking out the condensor as well. The condensor sits in front of the radiator and is nearly the entire size of the radiator. Only location this could happen is at the bottom by the cross member perhaps. Something doesn't sound right.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went thru the same thing. On my 2015 LR4 a rock hit the super charger cooling radiator. The low level warning came on and went off for several miles. I thought the float was sticking. I got to an exit and just as I was going to stop the high temp. warning came on. I shut down the unit and got out to find antifreeze all thru the engine compartment. Thought I had a bad radiator hose. Still under warranty called the 800 number and had it towed 90 miles in the wrong direction to the closest dealer. They found the mark in the radiator in short order and as you said it wasn't covered. I had just turned 37k miles. Called my insurance and they are going to cover some of it still don't know how much.
Has anyone ever tried to put hardware cloth behind the grill to keep this from happening. It may not be 100% foolproof but it would lower the risk. I am concerned if it would take away too much air flow to the radiators. There are 3 if you have the super charger.
Another problem came up when the dealer tried to fill the radiator. They couldn't get all the air out of the system and the temp continued to be too high. They finally emptied the system again and pulled a vacuum and filled it. I will know Monday if this did the trick and hope to get my truck back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV