LR3 Gas tank shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter Scheerer

Reaction score
While off roading a rock caught the metal gas tank shield and ripped it clean off of my LR3. Is this something I should replace? or will the fuel tank likely be fine if it is exposed.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace it. In fact if it were me I'd upgrade it to an aftermarket gas tank skid plate.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace it. In fact if it were me I'd upgrade it to an aftermarket gas tank skid plate.

Have you seen any 5mm aluminum tank guards lately? I missed the moment on the big Rasta clearance few years back but glad I already had their 3 front lip, engine and trans plates plus the sweet rare radiator guards.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't. My OE skid is holding up pretty well so I have not been compelled to replace it. I have the Rasta engine and tranny skids and the Mantec front skid. That and the RS Specialties sliders give me good protection. The radiator ones would be nice....I should've bought them when I had the chance. I guess I figured those spots are pretty high up there and it would take a "creative obstacle/line" to hit that. I still think so...but now I have more money! :)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't ground the tank very often but I also think it's the speed with which you might make contact that matters most. Gently settling into it won't do much but being careless/having too much fun is what could cause damage.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you been to Tahuya or Elbe ORV parks? I used Tahuya to test the non aggressive Michelins which were totally fine and ran almost all the trails at Elbe last year but on the BFG's. Also recently just did several trails out by Index, forget the ORV Park name. Usually do these to mainly test new things.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been to Tahuya, and at the place near Index (it's Reiter Pit that you're thinking of) and I'm not surprised that the non-aggressive Michelins did fine at Tahuya. That place either has really silty soil or it's hard packed with rocks. I'm no geologist but I've had street tires out there and never spun 'em. It looks muddy but it's more like puddles on hard packed ground that provides great traction.

I haven't been to Reiter since it re-opened but went there a few times before it closed. I think that was 6+ years ago. I've not been to Elbe Hills. The good places around here are further east anyway, like in the Cle Elum Valley and Manastash. Also Tillamook State Forest in Oregon.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the Fortune Creek Trail. I also like "Hole In the Rock" in the Liberty area (a little further east)...but both are currently buried in snow. That's why I've been to Tahuya so many damn times...it's at Sea Level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV