LR3 Offroad Wheels/Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, this is what I have found available in the US.

On ebay, there are these 17" LR3 rims that supposedly fit 235/70 17. Too bad no one makes an off road tire in that size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=43957&item=7952456484&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I have, however, found the Cooper Discoverer STT that comes in 245/70 17. That would make a diameter jump from 30" to 31.5."

Can we run 31.5"? Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. I would use these off road only or at most for the hour drive it takes to get there. I have the 19" HSE wheels that I wouldn't mind keeping nice for the street anyway.

The more common 17" off road tire is the 265/70. This is available in Dunlop Radial Mud Rover, Wrangler MT/R, Yoko Geolander and the Cooper Discoverer STT. This is also 31.5".

Any thoughts?

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a 265/70 be a larger diameter than a 245/70?

I don't think a 1.5" difference will affect the ABS or traction control much, just the speedometer.

T

tzucc

Cooper tires don't seem to have rave reviews for offroad.
I wouldn't want to increase tire diameter casually... you might have clearance issues with the fenderwalls as you go lock to lock. I think I calculated that for the 265/70 that the overall diameter on a 17" rim would be 29.1 inches. So that's not ideal either. The std overall diameter appears to be just about 30". We wouldn't want to reduce ground clearance anymore than it is.

I am inquiring with several tire vendors as to whether their DIscovery 16" rims would fit the LR3 bolt pattern. I think that would give us alot more choice in offroad tire.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Wouldn't a 265/70 be a larger diameter than a 245/70? "

My mistake. Our tires are 30".
265/70 17 = 31.6"
245/70 17 = 30.5"

Thus, if the 245/70 will fit the ebay 17" wheel, then that is the way to go.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I am inquiring with several tire vendors as to whether their DIscovery 16" rims would fit the LR3 bolt pattern. I think that would give us alot more choice in offroad tire."

That sure would be awesome and open up a plethora of choices. But, will it fit our calipers?

T

tzucc

www.bearmach.com is a site I've been referred to by one of those Disco wheel vendors I've inquired. The vendor who responded also mentioned checking the braking system and compatibility of wheel.

So now I have a piece of mail into bearmach to see what they know.

S

SteveA

The Discovery II wheels will not fit on the LR3. The LR3 wheels are hubcentric, DiscII are not. The Discovery wheels would have to be machined out in the center. This is why the LR3 and new RR wheels will fit the Discovery with a centering ring, but it won't work the other way around.

I would be very surpised if a 16" wheel would clear the calipers. The 18's have very little clearance. I don't know how the UK standard 17's fit, but I guess they do.

Stephen

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SteveA said:
I would be very surpised if a 16" wheel would clear the calipers. The 18's have very little clearance. I don't know how the UK standard 17's fit, but I guess they do.

Stephen

Agree that 16 inch wheels won't likely fit. With the proper offset and wheel spoke design, should be able to squeeze a 17 inch wheel over the calipers, but it may not be curb or rock friendly :-(

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"should be able to squeeze a 17 inch wheel over the calipers, but it may not be curb or rock friendly :-("

Won't the 17" be the most curb/rock friendly? Isn't that the whole point?

T

tzucc

Stephen, thanks, you're right, I took a peek at the calipers and they don't have alot of clearance to the wheel. Now I am also wondering how the 17" would fit, but I think there's probably a little more than an inch between the caliper and the inner rim. I think it's best to perhaps buy one of those UK 17" rims and see how it fits before buying 5.

Assuming the 17" rim fits, appears to me that the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tire should fit at the P255/65R17 size. Tire1010 seems to have this size in stock. However, the load rating is only 108, while the OEM Goodyears are 111 I think.

So to wrap this all up, assuming the 17" rims fit the LR3 calipers et al, would anyone see a problem with these Bridgestone Revo's at 255/65/17, esp given the lower load rating???

Reviews of the Revo seem to be pretty high across the board, that's why I want to get a set of these for offroad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV